1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do not use a tarp!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lorihadams, Sep 28, 2009.

1. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    We had a tarp to cover our run and boy was it a pain, every time it rained I worried that it was going to collapse the pen (a 10x10 dog kennel). Eventually it did and we came home to find after a heavy downpour that the top bars of the pen were bent into oblivion. We decided to suck it up and build a roof. Here's the before and after pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After our expenses it cost us about $50....the tin was free, some of the 2x4s were free and we had to buy the 4x4 posts and 4 of the 2x4x12s for the cross pieces. The most expense was the roofing tar at $12 a gallon and we had to get 2. the tin was old and starting to rust so we have to seal it. I wish we had done this last year and we would have saved ourselves a lot of money (on replacement tarps) and heartache and worry!

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Don`t forget to run some wire around the openings at the top. Predators hate us......Pop

3. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    that's our project for this evening!

4. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Uh yah. We are learning the same lesson now. [​IMG] My first run is too tiny and the tarp makes a fabulous rain catcher. We will be buillding up, out, and with a roof this time.

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Good that you got the roof!!!! I used a tarp just for a few days and it drove me crazy.....Not that it takes much....[​IMG]

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    You can use a tarp, you just have to support it properly and replace as needed. [​IMG]

7. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    That big black chicken in the first photo is my favorite!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by