Do organ meats need to rest?

wantsomechicks

Songster
6 Years
Sep 3, 2017
I'm raising my first mini batch of CX. Because I have more freezer than fridge space, I plan to freeze the birds immediately after butcher. I will then let the frozen birds defrost for several days in the fridge prior to cooking to allow rigor to pass. I plan to freeze the organs separately. Do they also need resting time before usage? If so, I may let them rest before freezing, since they will take up less space in the fridge than the meat.

I consider organs (especially livers) highly perishable and freeze them withing 24 hours. Hearts (and gizzards?) are more muscular so you may be able yo get away with more but I don't think they need to "rest" like other meat.

How old will your birds be when you process them? Resting the meat is more beneficial for older animals. It does nothing for young ones, nothing at all.

I use the organ meat for soup. One whole chicken plus all the organs, heads and feet from the rest all go in the pressure cooker and make wonderful chicken soup!

Livers need to be frozen asap or cooked same day to preserve their quality.

Hearts and gizzards could be rested, not sure if that would help but probably wouldn't hurt.

The gizzards are extremely tough. The way I've seen recommended to prepare them is to gently simmer them for at least an hour with carrot/onion/celery and then to slice in strips, bread, and fry. If you want to add them to something like a stuffing, I'd personally simmer them like that first and then very finely dice them. Or do a rough grind, if you have a grinder.

Hearts I think people cut in half or dice, they're a bit tough too.

I'm intrigued and don't have experience using the organs other than in giblet gravy. Do I just fry them up as is or do something to them first?

Personally, I fry livers in butter and serve them with onions. No special treatment--I just rinse them with clean water after they come out of the bird, to make sure there is no dirt or feathers on them.

Hearts and gizzards, I remove the tough lining of the gizzard along with all the stones in it, then rinse both the heart and the gizzard and collect them in a bag in the freezer until I have enough. I like to cook them in recipes meant for tough beef. They do not taste exactly like beef, but they taste more like beef than any other part of the chicken does. And a long time simmering in some kind of stew makes them much easier to chew!

Back
Top Bottom