Do organ meats need to rest?

Ummm even young ones can be rubber bands if rigor mortis has started and they are not rested until rigor has passed.
Ummm no actually not. I tested this recently, because I had my doubts. Butchered two young cockerels at the same age, rested one and didn't rest the other, cooked them the exact same way. No difference whatsoever. None at all. I also talked to a few traditional farmers and nobody had heard of resting the meat on chickens. Hunters, yes. Chicken farmers, no. Maybe it works on older birds with tougher meat - I haven't tried that. But young cockerels? Nope.

Ummm no actually not. I tested this recently, because I had my doubts. Butchered two young cockerels at the same age, rested one and didn't rest the other, cooked them the exact same way. No difference whatsoever. None at all. I also talked to a few traditional farmers and nobody had heard of resting the meat on chickens. Hunters, yes. Chicken farmers, no. Maybe it works on older birds with tougher meat - I haven't tried that. But young cockerels? Nope.
I thought I was trying to eat rubber bands. Many other people have had this problem

I thought I was trying to eat rubber bands. Many other people have had this problem
Maybe it's in the way it was cooked. The pressure cooker is a great tool. Sous vide leaves the meat tender, too. The breast is a lost cause, no matter what you do to it the breast on a homegrown chicken will always be some kinda tough, even if young, even if rested, but I don't eat breast so I don't care. The dark meat and organ meats were tender and delicious, though.

Maybe it's in the way it was cooked. The pressure cooker is a great tool. Sous vide leaves the meat tender, too. The breast is a lost cause, no matter what you do to it the breast on a homegrown chicken will always be some kinda tough, even if young, even if rested, but I don't eat breast so I don't care. The dark meat and organ meats were tender and delicious, though.
I have a heritage/CX mix of meat mutts I have been working on for a few years. If rested until rigor is passed, the breast meat is good. I roast young birds or pressure cook older.

Back
Top Bottom