Do other people have lap chickens too?

Please, all of you lap chicken keepers, help guide me. :fl I started with pullets last Fall, so did not start with chicks.

However-- as of yesterday, I have 2 chicks! I would like to get them to be lap chickens. I assume plenty of handling is what I need to do.

Do I start right away or do I need to give them some time first? I was told they were about 3 days old? [They are inside the house now in a brooder.]
Hi!!!! I like to start after about half a day or so not sure if this is wrong!! Sometimes sooner don’t expect anything the first day it would break my heart those first days when they hated me!!! I like to take them all out on the floor or a mat after about a week they will jump on my hand to come out cuddle up to me sit on me every where and eat from my hand without hesitation my favorite time is the teen stage by this time I have a close bond with them and love having them out for an hour at a time!!! When they hear my voice they try to jump out and send their sweetest cries in hope of coming out!!! Good luck!

Mine was more disabled and enjoyed watching tv. Would turn his head and get excited and chirp at the tv. He’d jump on the couch all by himself. He loved soft things. 🥺

Attachments

• BD2911EB-0C5F-4F9F-BEF5-74E92BE278B0.jpeg
    BD2911EB-0C5F-4F9F-BEF5-74E92BE278B0.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 13
All my girls are lap chickens some more then others the top hen peck everyone off when she’s on does anyone else have lap chickens and do they have names? Ours names are Blossom, Jessie, Lily, Marigold, Hope and Daffodil we have a rooster named Knight we’re rehoming
Yes, I have a red silikie, I call ninja chicken, she over being held, an watching TV, comes everytime to her name, an can jump 4 feet high to take snacks.over an over again, she is awesome. The other's, come a running, everytime, I yell, come ninja chicken. Hoping to get snacks or veggies.

Yes, I have a red silikie, I call ninja chicken, she over being held, an watching TV, comes everytime to her name, an can jump 4 feet high to take snacks.over an over again, she is awesome. The other's, come a running, everytime, I yell, come ninja chicken. Hoping to get snacks or veggies.
Awwww. Pictures???

Hi!!!! I like to start after about half a day or so not sure if this is wrong!! Sometimes sooner don’t expect anything the first day it would break my heart those first days when they hated me!!! I like to take them all out on the floor or a mat after about a week they will jump on my hand to come out cuddle up to me sit on me every where and eat from my hand without hesitation my favorite time is the teen stage by this time I have a close bond with them and love having them out for an hour at a time!!! When they hear my voice they try to jump out and send their sweetest cries in hope of coming out!!! Good luck!
Thanks! I've had mine for about a week now (so they're 10-11 days old). They're already responding to my voice and come to my hand when I stick it in their enclosure and then try to climb up my arm to get higher.

I think I'll set up an ex-pen in the room so I can let them out for a little. I'll just have to put the cat in the cat room first.:) I'm sure they'll love to be out of their box.

I haven't offered them any food other than their starter mash. I'm a bit nervous to add anything that'll cause issues. I did put in a tray of dirt from my run (as was suggested) to expose them to where they will eventually be going.

Any suggestions on "treats" to offer these little guys (and at what age)?

Attachments

• 10 days old.jpg
    10 days old.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 12
Thanks! I've had mine for about a week now (so they're 10-11 days old). They're already responding to my voice and come to my hand when I stick it in their enclosure and then try to climb up my arm to get higher.

I think I'll set up an ex-pen in the room so I can let them out for a little. I'll just have to put the cat in the cat room first.:) I'm sure they'll love to be out of their box.

I haven't offered them any food other than their starter mash. I'm a bit nervous to add anything that'll cause issues. I did put in a tray of dirt from my run (as was suggested) to expose them to where they will eventually be going.

Any suggestions on "treats" to offer these little guys (and at what age)?
Oh sooooo cute! How are they doing?

My girls are lap chickens. I only have four, Jewel, Goldie, Opal and Amber and all four will sit in my lap sometimes at the same time. I love it!
All my girls are lap chickens some more then others the top hen peck everyone off when she’s on does anyone else have lap chickens and do they have names? Ours names are Blossom, Jessie, Lily, Marigold, Hope and Daffodil we have a rooster named Knight we’re rehoming

Back
Top Bottom