Do others here move their coops regularly?

Thanks for the insite everybody!
Yes, I know my coop is too small for 10 grown birds. I started off with 10 baby chicks and I currently have 8 young hens. (lost a few early on) I will be free ranging the hens and utilizing the coop for night time security and egg collection. I'll be moving it again this Saturday!
I can see moving it to keep from having to clean out the poop. Too much poop will kill the grass, though. Too much of a good thing! You might be surprised at the poop out put of laying hens! ;)

I can see moving it to keep from having to clean out the poop. Too much poop will kill the grass, though. Too much of a good thing! You might be surprised at the poop out put of laying hens! ;)
Mine always came back very lush even after burning it down pretty good with broilers but that field was pretty out of control. Same with my yard at this property, the best grass grows where the broilers like to hang out. And I don't think veteran chicken keepers are surprised by fertilizer quantities. Birds in general are famous for their throughput.

Mine always came back very lush even after burning it down pretty good with broilers but that field was pretty out of control. Same with my yard at this property, the best grass grows where the broilers like to hang out. And I don't think veteran chicken keepers are surprised by fertilizer quantities. Birds in general are famous for their throughput.
It helps to have a climate with rain, too. Here in the South West it is very dry and the poop I get needs to be watered in -- water bills in Prescott can get pretty high. Some places are getting too much free water from the sky, I wish we could have some! Monsoon season here will begin around July. Then everything turns green!

I'm still moving the coop every Saturday. I moved it twice this week due to not quite liking the placement.

Attachments

• cm7.JPG
    cm7.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 3
  • cm8.JPG
    cm8.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom