Do pea hens tend to range more?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Nevermind, I guess I'm the only one here that lets their pea's free range

Steve in NC

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  2. Thanks for the input

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Mine freerange when it's not breeding season, but they all stick around pretty well, but the girls do seem more curious about whats over on the other side of the fence.... [​IMG]

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I dont free range any of mine, to many dogs!!

5. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    We free range our pair during the day and put them in at night. Occasionally if we don't keep an eye on them they will end up in the neighbor's yard but they are pretty good about sticking around. We have had them just about a year now. We got them when they were around 6 mos or so. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2009
  6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Steve no reason to get upset, you are not new here, should understand take some time to get answers.

Lot of peafowl breeders DONT free range.

7. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Ours are free range. They like to stay up in the top part of the barn. Usually come out a couple times a day and then go to the bottom part of the barn to eat any grain the cows didn't eat. Our hens nested in the barn. One on a metal shelf and the other just on top of a bunch of plastic wrap off the round bails. Their eggs weren't fertile though. Maybe next year.

8. featheredfriendlover

featheredfriendlover Songster

Jun 5, 2009
    i have 3 free rangers. i have 1 year old male and 2 two month old pied babies. they all stick around very well.

9. QuailKeeper

QuailKeeper Chirping

Jul 9, 2009
    Bedford, TX
    most breeders dont free range, but for ornamental purposes, peafowl keepers free range their birds

10. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I've got a pair that I REALLY want to let out of their pen because I need it for some other birds. BUT we live on the highway and I'm scared they will be at the neighbors houses, or an expensive car repair.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: