Do peafowl need to be heavy/fat?

Manuel742

Chirping
Dec 23, 2019
I feed My peafowl a 17% protein feed, and some males are heavier than others and the same with females but both are healthy. Now that breeding season is coming i wonder if they need to be heavy or fat in order to have a good amount of eggs? Or a good breeding season. I live in Southern México and try to get the Best feed available here

I feed My peafowl a 17% protein feed, and some males are heavier than others and the same with females but both are healthy. Now that breeding season is coming i wonder if they need to be heavy or fat in order to have a good amount of eggs? Or a good breeding season. I live in Southern México and try to get the Best feed available here
I thought they needed at least 24% feed? I'm feeding 30% for a few months in the breeding season.
@Midnightman14
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feeding-peafowl-my-feeding-regime.1510359/

Fat is not good. Fat hens will lay deformed eggs because of the stored fat putting pressure on the oviduct. Peas in their natural state are thin and lean, being raised in small pens and fed like turkeys has made them short and fat. We feed a 28% protein game bird feed for better feather and body structure. Having large pens also contributes to them being able to run off the extra energy and maintain good muscle mass.

You don't want fat males or females. Excess fat can be the result of to much corn or to much soy in their diet. I posted a thread on feeding on here a day or two ago. Its linked in the first comment.

Back
Top Bottom