Do people eat Peacocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tastes like CHICKEN
smile.png

Peacock was popular in medieval times. It is more like turkey as being a dry meat that needs lots of basting. I've had it a few times at an upscale eatery in Toronto.

Here is a recipe that we used last summer, when we had a peacock show up on our property....Had to tell the owner the coyotes got him when he saw the feathers in a vase in the window...LOL

Roast Young Peacock
Slinge, draw, and stuff a peacock with forcemeat. Truss it for roasting and roast it in a moderate oven (350° F.) for about 20 minutes per pound, or until well browned and tender, basting very frequently with melted butter. Serve hot with pan gravy or cold with chopped jelly and cold sauce poivrade.

To make the forcemeat, soak 1 pound of bread crumbs in milk and press out the moisture. Combine it with 1 pound of chopped beef marrow, the peacock liver, finely chopped, 10 shallots or 1 onion, chopped and stewed in butter until tender, 1 tablespoon each chopped green celery leaf and parsley, and a little sage, marjoram, and thyme. Season with cayenne, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.

Sauce Poivrade
To 6 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan, add 1 carrot and 1 onion, both diced, and cook until they are golden-brown. Add 1/2 cup flour, mix together, and cook until the flour turns golden-brown. Add 3 cups brown stock or double-strength beef consommé and 1 cup tomato purée, mix well with a whip, and cook, stirring until well blended. Add 3 or 4 sprigs of parsley, 1 bay leaf, and a little thyme. If any bones of the game are available, brown them well in the oven and add them. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and skimming as needed.

Put 1/2 cup vinegar and 6 peppercorns, crushed, in a pan and cook until the liquid is reduced to about one third the original quantity. Strain the sauce into the reduced vinegar mixture and cook all together for about 30 minutes, skimming carefully as the fat rises. Add 1/2 cup red wine to finish the sauce.

lcrtsigjuly05racingfinal51fj.gif

I spoke with a guy here in CT that eats his peacocks, mostly the males. He ends
up with tons of them because they reproduce A LOT. He stews his if I remember
correctly. He skins them because trying to pluck them tears the flesh apart badly.

I'm sure you can eat anything if you have a mind to do so. I hope you catch it Southern, or at least try to lure it into your yard and pen him up for safekeeping. Let us know what happens.

I wish I were closer to you. I know what I'd do. (out in the woods all night trying to find it and grab it and bring it to safety, being eaten alive by who knows what down there in N.C. :mad:)

I hope you catch it.

I have eaten peacock. My husbands IDIOT co-worker was helping with our roof and nail gunned one to death(they run wild everywhere here). I threw the biggest fit. I told him to dress it or I was going to call animal control on his a$$ for senselessly killing it on MY property. Sure enough I had peacock for dinner. It was a little tough. Got a vase full of tail feathers too.

I wouldn't mind eating any animal at all including peacocks if I knew that the person cooking it knew what they were doing. Just something I've never had a hang up with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom