Do pheasants make good pets?

never had pheasants.. But what i have heard about them-Most are wild and skittish. Males can be agressive. dont do very well with chickens but some do. Their medium noise. Wouldn't say a lot. but not quiet..

not sure if its true as i've never had or even been around them.. but have heard those from Various people

-Daniel

Last edited:
Most species will make little noises that sound like a door creaking. It's not as bad as some other birds I've heard, but they are not completely silent either.

I wouldn't recommend putting them with any other species of fowl. Pheasants have very different needs from that of a chicken. They need A LOT of space (It's recommended that you have 100 sq ft per pair), they need different feed, and the male's nice long tail will be ruined if put with other birds. Pheasants just won't thrive when put with other birds.

Also, pheasants are not, for the most part, friendly birds. You can't really hold them and they won't run up to you like chickens will (I've seen a few rare cases where they will, but VERY few.) You also can't free range them.

Pheasants aren't for everybody, but if you do careful research, you may find out they are the bird for you!

Pheasants are awesome birds to have.. Yes they can be touchy, but if you do your homework on them they are just as fun as chickens can be..

My case i guess is a rare one as my pheasants run right to me when go into there flight pen, just as the chickens do and of course they learn quik when the specail treats are coming..

There are two out of my 20 plus birds that i can handle with out problems..They are both hens that are super super friendly..
the rest dont care to be handled, but well i like to handle them anyway, when i want to check them over i just use a net or grab them by there tails..

My pen sizeS ARE ; 25'W X 50'L X 8'H,, EACH can HOLD 1-2 MALES TO ABOUT 15 PLUS HENS, Our males always get peepers on them..

I couldnt recommend raising them in the same pens with chickens or turkeys..

They really are great having around and would recommend anyone to give them a try if they can meet there needs....

Charlie

Last edited:
I have some young Lady A's that are very friendly and will come over to the cage and peck at my ring and see what goodies I have. I have some ring neck pheasants that I raised that will come eat out of my hand . I have them in a big pen with a couple silkies, some pigeons, cortex quail. They all seem fine together, although the cortex don't realize they are little and pick fights. Not all birds can be kept together, I think it depends on their temperament. Others I have hand raised run from me, it all depends on the bird.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom