Do pigeons like to roost together?

andythescot

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2009
Central Mass
Hey everyone, just out of curiousity I was wondering if pigeons liked roosting together or if they prefer to sleep alone?

I raise chickens (I’ve always loved pigeons though) and they usually sleep snuggled together at night. But it seems that in most pigeon lofts the perches are designed for individuals to roost (T perches, V perches, etc.). Given the opportunity do they snuggle up like chickens? Or do they at least do that when it’s cold? Or do they just plain old like “me-time” when it’s time to roost?

Like I said, I’m just curious!

I was wondering if pigeons liked roosting together or if they prefer to sleep alone?
Yes and No. Pairs like to roost together and have contact with one another. This changes of course when the pairs are nesting the ♀ does the night shift and lion share of the nesting. There is a pecking order the same as with chickens. Most bird claim a roost in the loft and will allow other birds in close proximity. As long as they remain about 12" away from one another (wings reach). Like chickens the alpha birds claim the most desirable roost.

I agree, depends on the bird. I've had them roost in pairs, groups and some move off a bit to be alone but they were younger birds without a mate yet. They didn't all snuggle up together, but the paired birds always slept next to their mates.

Back
Top Bottom