Do Polish hens sing the egg song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by poipollo, Feb 16, 2012.

1. poipollo

poipollo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to chicken keeping (got my first chicks in June of '11) and I recently had to rehome my RIR and Silver Lakenvelder because they made tons of noise, especially early in the morning. I hated to do this as I loved the chickens very much, but I live in the city with neighbors on both sides and behind me, so I can't have chickens screaming at 6 am. I didn't realize they were so loud!

I'm down to a Barred Rock and a White Crested Blue Polish. The Barred Rock is very noisy after laying, but the polish never seems to make a peep - just a weird growling/moaning sound that is quite tolerable. It's the egg song that drives some of my neighbors crazy. I can't seem to find much info online about this, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with Polish Hens? Do none of them sing the egg song (please oh please! lol) or is it just mine? I'd love to get a few more chickens, but I don't want to have to rehome them again if they become too noisy (it was so sad! i miss them), so I was wondering if the Polish Hens are quieter than the rest. If they are, they are the chicken for me!

Thanks for any info.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! I have a Polish bantam hen and she does make the egg song. She's the boss of the flock though, so I wonder if that makes the difference.

3. poipollo

Feb 16, 2012
    oooooh nooooooo! hahahaha. maybe it's because she's a bantam? i've heard they're noisy. (this is just me, still holding out hope that polish hens are quiet).

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Both of mine sing the song. The quiet/shy one (WCBlu) was downright obnoxious when she first started laying. Now they're both what I would call normal. It's my Wellie that won't shut up. I recently got two WCB bantam pullets. One is laying. I haven't heard her sing the song, but she makes a lot of noise because she doesn't like being in quarantine. She will be SO happy when she can run around with the other chickens.

I think it comes down to chicken personality more than breed.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I had a bearded buff laced that was a real braggart... she'd lay an egg and then wouldn't shut up for 15 minutes.

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I want a Polish so bad, wife says no more regardless of chicken math or not she is not bying it, No More Chickens 10 is enough. Oh Well?

To your question I have 3 girls laying in the winter time now and 1 out of the 3 is a big mouth and lays and then tells the entire block and every neighbor about it. The other 2 do their business and jump off the nest and go about there day. Rocky just will not stop skwaking and singing and being down right rude and noisy about it everyday. I feel like this [​IMG] when the neighbors walk by but when I say to Don or Gene sorry about how noisy the girls have been they say they hardly notice it anymore. What the Hairballs does that mean? Like it not like it what. But they do not mind when I bring them a few eggs for breakfast. Just the other day I brought my neighbors the morning eggs 4 and all they said was thanks keep them coming. LOL OH well no issues here I am the one who is aware of all the noise. Good luck.

7. Twiliath

Twiliath New Egg

Dec 19, 2010
    Neither of my White Crested Blue Polish ever sang the egg song. They are very quiet. :)

8. poipollo

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the information and welcome! I think I'll just stick with the two chickens I have for now, even though I'm dying for more. I don't want to take a chance with the noise at this point. Hopefully we'll move somewhere with more land soon so I can have a large flock without worrying. Thanks again.

9. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I don't have a polish (yet) but at our chicken breeders they were making all kinds of racket. ha ha. I think most chickens make some kind of noise. Sad that your neighbors can't be a tad more tolerant. I, like you, worry over the noise pretty constantly.

10. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Mine is very quiet also, and doesn't sing the song. None of my Ameraucanas sing the song, either. Not sure why. My other chickens are down right obnoxious. Thankfully we live in the country. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by