Do pullets beging to lay based on their development?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjb1953, Nov 9, 2013.

1. jjb1953

jjb1953 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    HI all.
    Last week our 4 month old Golden Commets began to lay. We are thinking it may just be one who is laying ( we have seen her three times)
    My 9 y.o daughter guessed who the layer was beforehand based on her development. Her wattles and comb are more developed than the rest and she looks more mature.

So do pullets who are the same age as the rest of the flock begin to lay sooner than the rest if she has developed things like her comb and wattles sooner?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes. In all animals (man included) individuals mature at varying rates of speed. Four months of age is early for initiation of egg laying.

3. jjb1953

jjb1953 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, I did not expect them to start laying until the end of Dec or January some time .... but then once they/she started laying, I read Golden Comets lay sooner.
    There is one other chicken beside the one laying now who also has a larger/more developed comb and wattles. I will be interested to see if she starts laying sooner too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by