Do pullets start eating oyster shell when getting close to POL?

I'll try the after-dark thing. Or maybe just wait and see when they do it. When does one start offering them free choice oyster shells???
You are good now. I didn't realize your birds were nearly 5 months old. Really you can offer it any time if it is in a separate container since birds that don't need it will usually avoid it. Pullets reach sexual maturity at different rates, especially now we're after summer solstice. Their bodies will usually tell them when they need to start shoring up calcium for the impending need.

I'll try the after-dark thing. Or maybe just wait and see when they do it. When does one start offering them free choice oyster shells???
They are very docile on the roost at dusk if you move slowly. As wild as my birds are, most of them will tolerate my handling after a long day of foraging. If I try to grab them off the roost before dawn, it is a completely different story. Then they scream bloody murder.

How interesting. I didn’t know there was a way to see if they are close to laying. I might have to check mine. They are about 15wks old but no eggs yet. I figured we were still a couple months away from any eggs.
These are my fist chickens so I haven’t given calcium yet. But I have guineas and didn’t offer calcium to my hens till they laid a soft egg. Now they have it available if they want it. Now that it’s summer they don’t eat much of it. But they ate a lot over winter.
Mine started to lay at 18 weeks. I provided oyster shells at about 14 weeks and they didn't seem to bother with it until they needed it and I was still feeding them start and grow. They are 21 weeks now and all are laying small eggs but I have gotten two normal size eggs recently. Still feeding them start and grow with oyster shells on the side until I run out. I have barred rocks, Orpingtons, Wyandottes and 1 Maran.

I am surprised anyone laid this morning since yesterday one of the barred rocks was attacked by a hawk. Only feathers were missing. My neighbor scared the hawk away before it hurt her. She was in the nest box this morning.
You may start having a dearth of eggs starting tomorrow. Today's eggs likely were already in the pipeline at the time of the attack. It takes about 24 hours after ovulation for the egg to be laid.

I'm not sure if this question was covered here (at least I didn't spot it in my quick read through this thread)... Do we know any kind of general timeline between when a pullet begins showing interest in eating oyster shells and when she gets to POL? My darling little late bloomer bottom-of-the-pecking-order pullet who's the only one who hasn't gotten to laying (and is between 22 and 23 weeks old now) has for maybe a week and a half to two weeks been chowing down on the oyster shell. I'm curious if anyone has observed typically how long it is between the start of that behavior and arriving at POL.

Hi all!
I’ve looked around the site a bit and couldn’t find a post exactly like mine so am posting my question here - apologies if there is a place to find this answer somewhere!
I have a flock of four - two are closing in on 18wks (RIR and Columbian Wyandotte), two are close to 9 weeks. I have them all on chick feed and will be switching to all flock when I get low on the chick feed. Anyway, I put a small container of oyster shell in the run a week or so ago, and also put it high enough that the little girls couldn’t reach but the big ones could. I figured it may be a week or two early but since the RIR and CW are getting somewhat close to POL i hoped it was ok. I checked this morning and they have been taking the oyster shell because it was close to empty. Does that mean they are getting closer to laying and are regulating as needed, or is it a potential problem with nutrition? Thank you!
I know this is 3 years past but I was wondering, as well, since I‘m a newbie and my Cuckoo Marans is squatting a lot at 16 weeks. There‘s a product that does double duty of grit and calcium sold on Azure Standard so I have a feeder that holds grit and I put some of that on one side for her. I will also offer oyster shell as it gets closer.
I know it’s early but I’m opening the laying box that I’ve set up with fake eggs for a little while each day to get them used to it. They’re all persnickety.

Back
Top Bottom