Do Quail eat raw eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by The Critter Place, Dec 13, 2011.

1. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I've found 2 eggs now that were broke/emptied. The birds are on wire. (Coturnix)
    Do they develop a taste for raw eggs like chickens do or is it just it got broke and drained?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yup, my quail will occasionally eat an egg, I keep several different kinds of birds from quail to pigeons to chickens and they all occasionally do it, the way I take care of it is check for eggs more often and I sometimes give them treats or add something to their cages to distract them

3. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Your birds might have kicked it around after it was laid and fractured the shell...then it would have been game-on. I've had that happen before....I've not ever had the quail damage a good egg just to eat it though [​IMG]

"This is just my opinion, not to be used as absolute advice and not said to upset you in any way" [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

You may be right on that Bill, I have never seen mine eat the shell either so they must be doing what you are describing

5. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi Guys!
    Thanks!

I kinda thought it was broke and they took advantage of it. [​IMG]
    I have 8 birds total in this cage, and the 5 hens lay at all different hours. I usually collect 2 to 3 times a day, but have been very busy lately and just don't get to it right away.

I will try and collect more often just to be sure it doesn't become a habit/acquired taste to them. It is to me and I would like the eggs with filling. [​IMG]

"This is just my opinion, not to be used as absolute advice and not said to upset you in any way" lau gig

[​IMG]
    No worries! I won't hold you to anything.. [​IMG] . and your always cool with me. No upsetting. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  6. I grind up the shells and dry them and put this in their feeder and they will eat shells like this. But I don't see mine eating a good egg either as mentioned above but if it is cracked they go after it. Kinda like my chickens. And I also feed my quail scrambled eggs once in a while.

7. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Sounds like your doing everything right [​IMG] good luck finding your egg eater, well lets call them "opportunist" instead lol sounds so much less cannibalistic lol

8. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:I offer egg shells to and other treats.
    I hope it was just a case of grab it while it was already broke. lol...

Hey,
    Were almost neighbors. lol... I'm in Tucson! And it's been raining non stop! Ugh!

Must say I love your sig line! I told mom about it and she laughed! Dad used to fix pickled cows tongue when we were kids! LOL!

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Many Quail Will Eat Perfectly Fine Eggs. Its A Learned Behavior As Well (monkey See~ Monkey Do In The Aviary). It Will Not Hurt Them, But It Will Start A Severly Bad Habit That The Cure For Is Hot Oil

10. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Hot oil...
    Can't, these are my pets. lol...
    Subject to change if it becomes a habit. [​IMG]

What I hatch from them are headed for hot oil though.

Thanks JJ...
    I will keep an eye out and see if it becomes habit. And try and gather more often.

I was worried even taking advantage of a broken egg could turn to a "want more"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by