do quail ever stop eating???? What to do....

Country Living Farm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Florida
Do they ever stop eating. I swer they are eating me out of house and home. Does anyone on here supplement with something to cut the cost of feed down. I can get 20% feed for 10.00 a bag but that is still $$ when they go throught it like they do. Also will 20% be ok once they start laying as a manager for them.

Tks

Erik 20% is pretty low even for adults. I know personally that i can save a buck a bag by cutting my purina with something else, but when i tried this it led to dismal results. Also keep in mind the coturnix are lovers of perpetual sameness and any changes in their sameness and they will make you pay=== "Change my feed, NO EGG FOR YOU! BAD KEEPER!"

Check around for local feed mills, I have 1 in a neighboring county that sells feed quite cheap== They make a 30% gamebird starter too, but I have to buy 1000lbs at a time since its a specialty mix... And since I am not set up to deal with the logistics of 1000lb of feed at a time I really cant take advantage of it now...

I know your in Florida, but not exact location, but if your able to drive to east Sumter county try Knights Farm Fresh Feed. They're located about 3/4 mile west of I-75 and SR 48.

Quote:
Ditto! My no waste feeder was a godsend! It's the PVC one that is cut along the top- a nice gentleman in texas sells them. If you don't have one- that will make a huge difference in the amount of feed they go through.

IMO you are lucky that you can get a bag for 10 bucks...my local feed store sells the gamebird 50# for 19.99
idunno.gif
I'm looking into pairing up with a gal to put in larger orders to try and keep the cost down. If you can find a feed mill like JJMR is talking about that's your best bet for cheap feed. I give my birds greens sometimes, but I don't give them less feed when I do that- the greens are extra...

I call them my "hungry hungry hippos"
lol.png

Quote:
Ditto! My no waste feeder was a godsend! It's the PVC one that is cut along the top- a nice gentleman in texas sells them. If you don't have one- that will make a huge difference in the amount of feed they go through.

IMO you are lucky that you can get a bag for 10 bucks...my local feed store sells the gamebird 50# for 19.99
idunno.gif
I'm looking into pairing up with a gal to put in larger orders to try and keep the cost down. If you can find a feed mill like JJMR is talking about that's your best bet for cheap feed. I give my birds greens sometimes, but I don't give them less feed when I do that- the greens are extra...

lol.png

If Kristins feeder supplier's name is Jim, I have 5 of the no waste feeders he makes for Coturnix and wouldn't be without them. I also have 14 of a smaller size he makes for me for Button Quail and here again there is NO WASTE. Buttons are as bad if not worse than Coturnix for kicking their feed out or dust bathing in it.
PM me if you want Jims contact info. You won't regret the cost of the feeders which is quite reasonable at that.

David

Quote:

idunno.gif

lol.png

If Kristins feeder supplier's name is Jim, I have 5 of the no waste feeders he makes for Coturnix and wouldn't be without them. I also have 14 of a smaller size he makes for me for Button Quail and here again there is NO WASTE. Buttons are as bad if not worse than Coturnix for kicking their feed out or dust bathing in it.
PM me if you want Jims contact info. You won't regret the cost of the feeders which is quite reasonable at that.

David

David- You're right- his name is Jim! Small world he lives only a few miles away from where I grew up! Great guy- the shipping cost more than what he charged for the feeder- that's how reasonable it is...and you're right- worth EVERY cent...

Back
Top Bottom