Do raccoons learn to outsmart traps or is it just me?

Quote:
I agree. I won't judge anyone who uses leg traps but we have so many neighbor cats here, who roam free... just kind of their cat habitat... but I feel if I put leg traps or snares down I run the risk of catching a neighbor cat... and I would hate to hurt anyone elses pet, I know a lot of people on this forum are quick to say shoot the neighbors pet, but I don't agree with that. Pets are pets. If I lost a pet I'd be very sad. Live traps are the way to go, people, don't kill your neighbors cats just 'because you can'. Be human at least.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree. I won't judge anyone who uses leg traps but we have so many neighbor cats here, who roam free... just kind of their cat habitat... but I feel if I put leg traps or snares down I run the risk of catching a neighbor cat... and I would hate to hurt anyone elses pet, I know a lot of people on this forum are quick to say shoot the neighbors pet, but I don't agree with that. Pets are pets. If I lost a pet I'd be very sad. Live traps are the way to go, people, don't kill your neighbors cats just 'because you can'. Be human at least.

Leg traps are not kill traps. You can release things from them, sore but relatively unharmed, assuming the "pet" is friendly enough to let you release it that is. I released a dog from one, sore foot I'm sure but no broken skin and no swelling that would indicate broken bones. Someone else on here caught their chicken in one of theirs and it was also ok, and they have much more delicate legs than dogs do. I don't know why people assume a leg trap is not automatically not a live trap. The animal is usually very much alive when you come to get it. Not that I would stick my hand/face down there to release a really irked raccoon from one, but a PET cat or dog that would let me, sure.
I have a stray cat or two that frequent my property - they seem too smart to get leg-trapped, so far. You can also use a honey bun or marshmallows for bait instead of tuna/sardines, it doesn't attract cats so much.

Yes, raccoons are crazy smart and will learn to avoid traps very quickly.

What you really want are Dog Proof Raccoon traps. Dogs nor cats will get trapped, and coons have a much harder time figuring these out, likely because you must kill them once you've trapped them (which you should be doing anyways).

I lost my first batch of Ringneck Pheasant to a mink. I originally thought it was a weasel. Until my neighbor said it was probably the mink living near his pond. Anyway i manufactured weasel boxes. Never trapped a one. I did purchase "Duke" traps for Raccoons and captured three of them in 2012. Several Possums also. This year i have not trapped due to the amount of trapping i did last year. Since i re-configured my pen 20x40 and have not had any problems. I built another pen 20x40 this year for breeding.
The sad part about losing all my Ringnecks was the fact that the mink put bite marks in the necks and skulls. None were eaten fully. I believe the Mink just wanted the blood. Not the meat.

I lost my first batch of Ringneck Pheasant to a mink. I originally thought it was a weasel. Until my neighbor said it was probably the mink living near his pond. Anyway i manufactured weasel boxes. Never trapped a one. I did purchase "Duke" traps for Raccoons and captured three of them in 2012. Several Possums also. This year i have not trapped due to the amount of trapping i did last year. Since i re-configured my pen 20x40 and have not had any problems. I built another pen 20x40 this year for breeding.
The sad part about losing all my Ringnecks was the fact that the mink put bite marks in the necks and skulls. None were eaten fully. I believe the Mink just wanted the blood. Not the meat.
I've had a coon take 2 of my chickens this year.

Well one was DEFINITELY a coon, and the other could have been just about anything. I never found any remains. No feathers or anything (I didn't look too hard either). I trapped the first coon the night after he ate my chicken. Simple dog food in a box trap and he fell for it. Biggest coon I ever saw too.

I now have a lost indoor cat that I'm trying to trap, and there is a coon that has spoiled my cat getting in once (captured on the game cam), and I'm pretty sure the coon is keeping him away at this point. The coon keeps showing up and raiding the trap without getting in. I've since ordered dog proof traps to try and get that coon. An opossum has shown up too. I have a few animals to trap, both so I can get my cat back, and also so I might not lose any more chickens for a while.

Male or boar coons may not be as smart as we think. In my opinion I think that the humans on a problem coon's trail may be.... lets say a bit inexperienced with coons.
A big male or boar coon may tip the scales at 40 pounds.

There have been reports of boar coons weighing up to 60 pounds.

This means that one coon may be as big as several red foxes. or equal to 1 1/2 coyotes.

Are you sure that your box style trap is large enough to accommodate as much raccoon as you wish to accomidate?

When using foot hold style traps from a double long spring #2 to the new Duke Trap Company's Dog Proof Coon trap, trap shyness has never been an issue for me.

However coons can be inquisitive or maybe the right word is courous, and he that explores or tries out new ways of doing things is bound to make a few new discoveries.

This video demonstrates that raccoons don't learn from the misfortune of his or her fellow coons.
0.jpg

Notice how he DP trap uses a coons curiosity, greed, and appetite against him.
Also notice the second coon in the left background who is patiently waiting his turn with the DP trap.
Why not use two or three DPs and accommodate all the raccoons at your chicken coop. Be sure to place your coon traps were the coons can not get close enough to an obstacle to tangle up the trap wire, or close enough to the other DPs to attack other trapped coons.
0.jpg

Now this video shows what some of you are talking about, this coon seems to have learned now to use a garage door opener. He is also definitely trap shy if not trap wise.

0.jpg

Last edited:
Marshmallow bait on the Hav-a-hart trip plate.
smile.png

Next morning the marshmallow is gone, no coon and the trap is not sprung.

Took a piece of coat hanger wire and Shish Kabob a marshmallow. Hung it horizontally above the trip plate.
big_smile.png

Next morning the marshmallow is gone, no coat hanger wire, no coon and the trap is not sprung.

Took another piece of coat hanger wire. This time I bent a "L" on the one end so it couldn't be pulled thru the cage. Shish Kabob another marshmallow, hung horizontally above the trip plate.
fl.gif

Next morning the marshmallow is gone, coat hanger wire is laying on the ground, no coon and the trap is not sprung.

Took the coat hanger wire and bent a "L" on the other end too. Another marshmallow and this time I shut the door on one end of the trap. Coon has to step on the trip plate to reach the marshmallow.
bow.gif

Next morning the marshmallow and hanger wire is gone. No coon and the trap is not sprung.

THIS IS WAR! Another piece of wire attached vertically to the trip plate with a marshmallow stabbed on it. One trap door closed.

Next morning ..........................................got me a live coon!
clap.gif
Coon got recycled.
yesss.gif

Last edited:
No sir, I built the boxes for Weasels. Because at first,when I lost my ringnecks and the size of hole dug. Plus the wound bites. I originally thought it was the work of weasels. Quite certain it was the Minks living in near the neighbors pond. Which makes sense now..

Raccoons are fairly intelligent animals. When trapping raccoons on Long Island we use various types of traps depending upon the time of the year and food availability to the raccoons. A lactating mother raccoon with pups is very trap shy and won't go anywheres near a box trap.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom