Do Racoons kill chickens and ducks?

Quote:
As a caution to those who don't know, raccoons are EXTREMELY dangerous to your dogs if they are cornered. They WILL try to run away or up a tree if a dog chases them, but if they are cornered they will rip most dogs apart. Even experienced coon hounds get killed by them on occasion, (killed outright or injured so bad they can't be saved.)

hmm.png

I caught a coon in a live animal trap that had gotten a couple of our pullets earlier this spring. I couldn't stand to kill it myself (it was really young but I was very careful) so I put it in the trunk of the car and drove it about 15 miles from my house and turned it out. When my mom told some people that she works with (my 12 yr old had to show Mammaw what HE caught in the trap), one of the men she works with wanted it to give to his dog (a pitbull) to kill. Momma told him that a coon could kill his dog. He didn't believe her.
idunno.gif
smack.gif

I was upset when she told me that why he wanted the animal. I had just lost my pitbull puppy, Autumn, because she had been hit by a car. I would never feed the stereotype of pits being dangerous dogs by giving them something to kill on purpose.
somad.gif

Melly

We have chickens and ducks. Last night, a coon got into our chicken coop, ate one of our chickens, then made itself at home in the rafters of the coop. When I went to get the eggs and feed my babies, I found what was left of the chicken. I found the coon when I went in the coop and just happened to look up. I quickly ran to get my .22, got all the chicks and ducks out of the coop, then took care of the coon. They are mean little critters and will wreak havoc on a coop if they can get in. Needless to say, I've been repairing the coop today to try to prevent anymore unwelcomed guests. But, I've recently had to run a coyote off as well. I couldn't get my gun quick enough. It just breaks my heart to lose one of my babies.
sad.png

coons love chickena and ducks seem like they find a way to get that free meal . they will climb dig tear wire seems like they do the impossible to get our birds. they will test your pens to the fulliest to find a weak spot to get in.

After solving my hawk and owl issue the coons seem to be causing me an issue. Are coons known for grabbing the chicken and taking to a location far away to eat the body? Also, what's the best bait to place in a trap for the thieves?

welcome-byc.gif
from my past experiences with coon sometimes they will drag the chickens off sometimes they wont but if you are going to set a live trap to catch them I have found and had great success with using marshmellows they work great..... I have caught many coons with them.... they say coons have a sweet tooth and I believe it

Cool. I may also include a can of sardines. I also saw a possum around the other day. Regardless the predator is a land based one that carries the carcass because I can follow the feather trail into some tall grass. Looks like I will be having fun this weekend. This has been a rough and educational year for us. I solved the hawk issue with hanging CD's around the whole run and solved the owl issue with a automatic door. I suspect that a coon would also be able to raise the coop door to grab and run.

Yes A Coon Will Give It There All To Get In... I Use To Use Sardines And I Just Put A Little Hole In The Bottom Of The Can Just Where They Can Smell And Not Get Them.. That Worked Good But I Started Getting More Possums Than Coon And Was Told To Do The Marshmellows And It Worked So I Stuck With Them.. Good Luck!!! And Keep Us Posted

This morning I went out to my new built coop to find two out of the three pekin ducklings I bought mangled up. One had it's top part of the beak ripped off and the other had it's chest torn open to the point that I could see it's heart beating. I'm thinking a dang raccoon grabbed them and pulled them thru the chicken wire. I've got the coop entirely enclosed with chicken wire all the way around, on top and even on the bottom. Thought I was covered from everything but possible snakes. Guess I was wrong! The worst part was having to put the two young ducklings down before my daughter woke up and saw them. I don't really care about being humane, I want to kill every raccoon around. Does antifreeze actually work?

This morning I went out to my new built coop to find two out of the three pekin ducklings I bought mangled up. One had it's top part of the beak ripped off and the other had it's chest torn open to the point that I could see it's heart beating. I'm thinking a dang raccoon grabbed them and pulled them thru the chicken wire. I've got the coop entirely enclosed with chicken wire all the way around, on top and even on the bottom. Thought I was covered from everything but possible snakes. Guess I was wrong! The worst part was having to put the two young ducklings down before my daughter woke up and saw them. I don't really care about being humane, I want to kill every raccoon around. Does antifreeze actually work?
So sorry you lost your ducks. I found some scat in my yard tonight. I thought it was dog but we don't have a dog and the yard is fenced in. Searched online and I think it is raccoon. Our run is covered in hardwire with small holes can barely get my pinky finger thru so hopefully no coons can get in but I am worried, wondering if I should try to catch it and dispose of it. Found coon scat can carry roundworms that can be very harmful to humans. I worry about my kids playing in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom