1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Racoons kill chickens and ducks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by goosemama, Aug 29, 2009.

1. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Have seen racoon track around our duck pond which is enclosed in 5 foot chicken wire fence - so obviously no trouble for him to scale it. Our chickens are locked up each night but those pig headed ducks will not come in - they remain in or at the side of the pond all night. Would a racoon kill and eat one or are they only scouting for eggs and our garden produce?

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    In a word
    YES

3. Land of Lost Toys

Land of Lost Toys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Ohio
    Oh YES...they will kill your chickens, your ducks, your cat...they are bad varmints.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Yes, and they don't stop with just one bird. They will keep killing them until stopped.

-Cindy

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    And they can go right through chicken wire! they have broken welded wire cage trapps. Crazy strong buggers

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If a Coon can reach it they will eat it. If a bird is on the other side of wire that the coon can reach through, the coon will pull the bird through the wire piece by piece. That is why I cover any windows in the poultry that are close to the roosts with half inch holed wire.

Matt

7. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Coons will kill your ducks! I'm sorry to say...
    Set some traps,,, if out in the country, get someone to hold the spotlight on em' while you put the crosshairs on em' (X-Coon)
    We've got to take care of our Quackers and Layers ya know...
    [​IMG]

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Yes.

9. siriradha

siriradha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    Colorado Springs, CO
    [​IMG]Raccoons are very bad news for your ducks! We used to have ducks in our backyard when the kids were little. One night, a raccoon (size of a Volkswagen) grabbed one of the girls by the head and we took her to the animal emergency room. That was the last night the ducks slept outside. That duck survived, but there was no way we would take that chance again!

10. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the sky blue?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by