Ok, so I have sad news for the BackYard Chicken community...... Racoon massacre!

As they mature, the get less trigger happy with their calls.

Truth be told, I love them - but on that note, I love watching chickens, quail - etc. it relaxes me spending time with the birds.

The guineas just add a little extra flair. I am always walking away smiling, and shaking my head.

My one piece of advice, if you ever brood them - make sure to put a towel or some kind of fusion around the outside. The keets will run so out of control in there that we have had them kill themselves from running into the wall.
Wow, who would ever guess that would happen. I don't think I will ever get to get any but thanks for the information. Have any of yours ever flown off or do they get clipped?

Wow, who would ever guess that would happen. I don't think I will ever get to get any but thanks for the information. Have any of yours ever flown off or do they get clipped?
They can't really fly like a normal bird, but they are better at it than a chicken. In suprised sometimes at how high they can get into the ponderosas.

I had a dozen mallards disappeared soon as they could fly. I hadn't cut their wings.
How old were they? I saw this post and now I want to go clip my 6 week old ones as I am concerned when I let them free range in an area they might be able to get flight. I have sold them to people and they have flown away from them before. So sorry you lost yours.

How old were they? I saw this post and now I want to go clip my 6 week old ones as I am concerned when I let them free range in an area they might be able to get flight. I have sold them to people and they have flown away from them before. So sorry you lost yours.
I got them in January as ducklings and they flew away a couple months later.I remember being told to trim their wings soon as they get flight feathers in .There was a small window of opportunity to cut them I missed it. Once they took to the sky it was bye bye

These were bought in the 90's and I haven't bought any since.Murray said to cut their wings at 6 weeks and every 3 months afterwards if my memory serves me correctly.

You should cut them soon as possible so it won't happen to yours thanks!

I got them in January as ducklings and they flew away a couple months later.I remember being told to trim their wings soon as they get flight feathers in .There was a small window of opportunity to cut them I missed it. Once they took to the sky it was bye bye
Thank you for this post. I clipped mine today as they are 6 weeks old today and had flight feathers. They were not happy campers but got over it. I knew it was getting close to time to do it and I didn't want to lose them even though they might all 4 be boys. My husband told me if I didn't clip them that would be one way to get rid of them but he was only joking as he knows I would rather try to rehome them.

Back
Top Bottom