Do Ravens attack chickens???? Help please!

Colorado Girl

Hatching
8 Years
May 23, 2011
We had seven - two month old Rhode Island Reds, let them out of the coop in to their fenced run with six foot high chain link and a huge black bird came down attacked one of the hens. It seemed to just want to kill it, didn't try to take off with it or anything. My three boys and I were horrified, being the first chicken we've lost. Will covering the pen with landscaping cloth or something like it keep the "girls" safe or does the pen need to be fenced on the top as well? Do Ravens attack chickens??? Thank you for the help.

hugs.gif

How sad!
sad.png
I would cover the pen with netting for sure. Fencing would be more secure, but netting should keep them safe from birds.

I am so sorry!
sad.png

Yes, they will go after chicks and steal eggs. They are very smart so you will have to cover the run well. Adult chickens should be safe around them though. You will find having them around will keep the more dangerous hawks and eagles away.

Last edited:
Yes they do in spite of what some self educateds on this site may try to tell you! I've lost several chickens and waterfowl to them over the past years. I recently had a raven kill a half grown goose and later get into a fight with my full grown rooster who was backed up by a young goose and he still was fighting when I threw a rock his direction. I'm to the point of probably having to winter my battle-scarred rooster over so he and I will be better able to guard next seasons birds.

You got the right idea covering your run however a lighter material is deer netting or some call it fruit tree netting. It's strong enough to stand up to weather, less visually obnoxious, and still keeps out the bad guys and I've not had an issue of a predator bird getting tangled up in it. As you have probably witnessed, ravens are very smart so be sure to leave no gaps in the overhead cover as they will find it and do their best to wipe you out.

Good luck in your battle and please pass on any tips that work well for you

Oh, someone recommended a breed of chicken called shamos as a rooster who may stand up to a raven but I haven't had time to check them out of find a source

Last edited:
Just watched about 8 ravens flew over on their morning comute from their roosts. Several did a slow circle, Mongo the roo alerted and the hens hid under a trailer. As soon as I slipped around the corner they lit out. Sneaky ^&##@! birds. They are checking, watching & waiting for the turkey chicks to be released from their covered run!

Yes Ravens/Crows will attack and kill chicks and pulletts. I personally have observed ravens try to kill my little 4 week old chicks last year in 2010. The attach was only thwarted by myself and a shovel. As for my flock coincidentally have bnefited from the ravens since the attack due to the crows chasing away/totally annoying any hawks in the area.
So deffinately protect your chickens (especiall the young) from Ravens.

Ravens are carnivorous and definitely will eat young birds and eggs. And, they're very intelligent, so like others say, make sure that you cover your run well. They can untie knots and release hooks. They'll also go after your feed and scraps, too.

But, on the good side, ravens aren't afraid to give a large hawk or falcon a challenge and even steal their prey.

ETA: I don't know where you live, but I have found that nesting kingbirds and even mockingbirds make the best avian predator protection. Kingbirds will attack anything that looks like it would raid a nest or kill a baby. I saw one attacking a full grown great blue heron one time. So, I would suggest making your yard friendly to kingbirds and mockingbirds (mockingbirds, though, will dive-bomb people, though).

Last edited:
Yes, they do. I have my hens and chicks in a fully enclosed area at night but the chicks slip out through the wires in one spot early in the morning. This morning there were 2 huge ravens in the open pen looking for the chicks. Two were outside but on the other side of the pen so I think I got there just in time. The ravens went to complain in a tree and we fixed the fence. Between coyotes, dogs, racoons, skunks, hawks and owls, and now ravens, you don't have to wonder why the hens seem rather skiddish.

Back
Top Bottom