Do refrigerate your eggs?

Patoot

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
I have read you should in some places and should not in others. Also, how long are eggs typically good for? I know you can float them to see, but what is the general time frame?

Bree

I have done some research on this bc I too was curious...and you will get many different opinions. As far store bought eggs go, if they were refrigerated, keep them that way. Egg farms wash their eggs and this takes off the 'special coating' that the egg gets right before the hen lays it. The coating keeps the egg safe from bacteria that could try and get through the shell. I have a nice little iron fruit basket that sits on our bar in the kitchen and I keep our fresh eggs in it. As long as you don't wash them they can sit out for a week or so. I wouldn't go any longer than that, ours never make it that long anyway! Just make sure your house stays cool too. I think as long as they stay anywhere below 75 is fine. Some even say that if you leave them out they are better for frying and baking. Most countries don't refrigerate fresh eggs.... plus I think they make beautiful kitchen decorations!
big_smile.png

On the counter-one week or so
In the refrigerator- 2-4 months

If your worried they might not be good then do the float test. If they float that means gas has built up in them and they're bad. If they sink...eat up!

If you are selling your eggs you need to check your state laws and regs. In Nebraska you are required to wash and sanitize all eggs sold for human consumption. They also must be kept refrigerated.

Last edited:
Only those I wash and only because my DW won't let me leave poop covered eggs on the counter. I have left unwashed eggs sit out for 3 weeks with no problem--assuming they last that long. Like above, given my druthers I'd rather cook/bake with a room temperature egg. It is because commercial eggs are produced in such dirty conditions that the USDA regulations require them to be washed before selling that people in this country think eggs need to be refrigerated. This washing removes the bacterial preventative "bloom" making them susceptible to infection thus they have to be refrigerated. If you don't wash your eggs because they are coming out of the nests clean, there is no need to refrigerate them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom