Do rock squirrels eat eggs??

I D Farms

Chirping
7 Years
I've been getting zero egg production from my 11 Bielefelder hens for the last 3-4 months. If I get anything, it's only one or, rarely, two. They normally in the summertime lay 6-9 eggs per day. Now, it's just stopped. They're through their molt, but still no eggs, so I'm betting something's getting the eggs.

We have mice in the coop that we're trying to control with bait traps, no rats, haven't seen any snakes in a year of so, I'm wondering if those darn rock squirrels are helping themselves to whole eggs ... not broken, no yolk residue, nada. I'll be setting up the night light now, and know that will help with production, but that'll just (hopefully) just make them lay more, but won't address the thieving.

Will squirrels steal eggs and not leave evidence??

Squirrel stew ???

How old are the birds? If they're 18+ months (or thereabouts) they're far less likely to lay, or will lay at reduced rates, after molt, until daylight length increases again. I usually get zero eggs in winter once all the birds molt.

I've been getting zero egg production from my 11 Bielefelder hens for the last 3-4 months. If I get anything, it's only one or, rarely, two. They normally in the summertime lay 6-9 eggs per day. Now, it's just stopped. They're through their molt, but still no eggs, so I'm betting something's getting the eggs.

We have mice in the coop that we're trying to control with bait traps, no rats, haven't seen any snakes in a year of so, I'm wondering if those darn rock squirrels are helping themselves to whole eggs ... not broken, no yolk residue, nada. I'll be setting up the night light now, and know that will help with production, but that'll just (hopefully) just make them lay more, but won't address the thieving.

Will squirrels steal eggs and not leave evidence??

Squirrel stew ???
You've gotten zero eggs over the summer?
Do you free range?

You've gotten zero eggs over the summer?
Do you free range?
The summer and early fall were fine, getting 6-9 eggs a day. I stopped getting eggs in late September and has continued since then. The stop was sudden, not tapering off like most years. Recently, I've gotten NO eggs !

Yes, they are let our of their coop to free range in the afternoon, the hens alternating days with the roos. I've separated the hens from the roos in two separate compartments of the chicken house so they're not being harassed, and they have both the coop and an outdoor covered and fenced area they have full access to. I'm putting the winter light in today.

I'm used to the fall slowdown in egg production, but then I'm normally getting an egg or two. This is just weird.

Back
Top Bottom