Do Roos just not like some people?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elizabethbinary, Jan 31, 2011.

1. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    So this is my first time having a pet roo. My husband HATES him. I like him. He's sweet to me. He leans into my chest when I pick him up to take him outside and he's really easy for me to catch - he doesn't really run away from me fast. Apparently, though, he tries to absolutely MURDER my husband. I have not seen this, I think he exagerrates. I think my roo scratched him once. [​IMG]

Anyway, it had me thinking. Do roos just sometimes hate people? Maybe it's because I'm a bright-redhead and the roo just goes, "Now that's a COMB!" and doesn't bother me??

(Psst this means I'm asking for funny rooster hatred stories)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    My rhode island red hated my sister he would chase her around the yard and stare her down I am only 12 and he never pecked me unless i touched his tail feathers. He knows your husband doesnt like him and roo is being territorial

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    My boys often know who like them and who don't. None are mean, but yes, they're very skittish and shy about some of my family members who obviously don't care about chickens, much less, roosters, but sometimes try and approach them. The boys run off.

To me though, they're very sweet. [​IMG]

4. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Quote:Well at least yours do that my 20 pound 2 ft tall rooster wouldnt move you had to walk around him but he wasnt ever mean

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My roosters like me and will walk around with me, but when my sister's kids come over, the roosters hide behind their hens(except for the Game rooster). It like they're saying
    "take the hens,their much fatter than me." That's only if the kids don't have food though. If they see food, they don't care who it's from [​IMG]

6. KelBelle

KelBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Quote:Well at least yours do that my 20 pound 2 ft tall rooster wouldnt move you had to walk around him but he wasnt ever mean

20 pounds!? WOW!

7. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    our rooster considers us to be part of his flock. Not friendly per se, but tolerant.
    Hates my son though! He doesnt hurt him, but will jump at him, and also any stranger to the yard. Also, he tolerates the dogs, but has no qualms about reminding them he's in charge.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:NO HE IS NOT EXAGERRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been accused of the same thing. My EE rooster I raised for and day one, hated me even though I was the one who fed, water and gave treats too. My BF had no problem with him. Even told me that I was over dramatic about him, until I was out in the run and he saw him run from 100ft and sneak up on me and spur me in the back of my bare legs, he hit me so hard he left bruises, needless to say I chased him with a broom handle (I know not good but was mad and hated that bird) he of coarse won, I tired out and had the BF do him in. (bullet to the head doesn't always work the first time it takes like 3) We thought it was going to be swift kill no it wasn't. It was horrible even for me.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When I was a kid along, long, long (well you get the idea)[​IMG] time ago I had a BIG RIR rooster that was no problem whatsoever to anyone. One day when I was sick my BIL went to collect the eggs. Big Red flew up, hit him in the chest and chased him all the way to the house.[​IMG] That was the first that I realized that my BIL was less than God-like.

10. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    They don't like my son much. He will be 9 next week. One time when he was 7 he was out in the yard and my silver phoenix cockeral came over by him and he panicked. DD who was 3 at the time yells "Don't worry Brubby, I'll save you!". She ran off the deck and chased the roo into his pen yelling at him the whole time to leave her Brubby alone. [​IMG]

My cross beaked silkie roo who was missing toes from frostbite when the coop flooded last December didn't like him either. Little bugger would try to flog the boy any time he went over by them so one day he grabbed a hola hoop and had the roo jumping through the hoop. [​IMG]

We no longer have either of those roos. DS has a bantam cochin roo and a bantam polish roo that so far haven't bothered anyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by