Do roos prefer to mate with their own variety?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by goedric, Mar 21, 2018.

1. goedric

goedric Chirping

Sep 16, 2017
    Newaygo, MI
    I realize that roosters will mate with anything... my question is, if there are many hens is there any tendency to preferentially mate with their own variety... or are varieties a human thing... so in a mix of very different chickens like marans and cermani... should we expect crosses to be a function of percentages (random) or would there be more marans x marans and cermani x cermani crosses that we would predict randomly.

In genetics some animals prefer to mate with like types (positive assortative mating) ... others do the opposite (negative assortative mating)... anyone know how it is with chickens?

Thx, just wondering

2. Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua

Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua Crowing

Dec 17, 2017
    North Carolina
    Roos will mate with any hen they see once a bantam mated with a jersey giant it was funny

goedric likes this.
  3. feedman77

feedman77 Crowing

Jun 10, 2013
    Roos are indescriminate. They will mate with any hen. They will have favorites though.

But if you have enough roos they seem to have their own little group of hens. That stay around them

4. goedric

goedric Chirping

Sep 16, 2017
    Newaygo, MI
    interesting

5. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    My head rooster seems to be picky, he will run a hen that is not laying out of the food, and he will not mate her. Although his Daddy liked larger girls he does not, he has his favs and all but 1 are smaller girls. Now once the hen lays an egg, everything changes,,, he then offers up whatever he can find, and expects an exchange,,,,

6. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Pullarius

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    I have noted that some roosters prefer hens of a certain breed. One mutt cockerel of mine chose only RSLs to be in his mini flock that he'd take away from the other males. I have also noticed some preference among my PCs to choose hens of the same breed as them, but that I think is due to the fact they grew up together and are the same age, and as a result are easier for the males to catch.

7. Sierra rayan

Sierra rayan Hatching

Mar 21, 2018
    Hello

Kessel23 likes this.
  8. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    My cochin cockerel clearly prefers the cochin girls. All the cochins I've ever had seemed rather breed selective.

southdeb, Rocky Rhodes and AUTZ like this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Curious about this.
    Domestic animals or wild animals?

10. AUTZ

AUTZ Chirping

Feb 10, 2018
    AL/TN STATELINE
    Ugh, right now we have a problem child Roo... He's taken up with the "HBIC" of the farm a Muscovy duck! It's just...unacceptable. She doesn't seem to mind, but we do! He's in time out until we decide how to best handle the situation. :th:barnie
    To add: we've taken to calling him a....well, there's no good term. He's tending to terrorize our juvenile hens who are just venturing out... Clearly too young to mate but, for him it seems everybody fair game but the other Roo. :he

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Plsc and LollynPoppy like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: