Do roosters/cocks like to take dust baths?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenPeep, Jun 10, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have a few chickens. i know one is a roo, and i think another one is. All of the chickens love to take dust baths, except for the one i know is a roo. i was wondering, do roosters like dust baths less? this will help me determine the gender of the thought to be roo.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have seen all my chickens doing it...they love it and it is very necessary for them to stay healthy...keeps bugs, mites etc away...enjoy the show!

3. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    All of them do!! [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    All chickens like dustbaths. It may be that your suspected rooster is not the alpha rooster, therefore he won't attempt to intrude when the alpha and hens are dustbathing.

Chickens have a hierachy and every one knows their place in that pecking order from an early age. They learn what and who they'll get pecked or chased by and who they can peck or chase.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    All of my roos dustbathe, but a lot of times they are watching over the hens as the girls dustbathe. Chicken ogling, I guess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by