Do roosters cry? (3 roosters situation)

alex312

Hatching
Jan 4, 2019
I have 3 roosters in my flock (15 hens). The two are same age (3-4 years) and the other is 2 years old. Because they hurt the hens with their spurs (some of them don't have feathers on their back, but wounds instead) I removed the two older ones because their spurs are bigger (I leave them outside). The problem is that because of the hierarchy the hens don't like the young one, but prefer the older ones. One of the older is my favorite one, because he does perfectly everything. One day I putted the flock to the coop and I heard him making this sound: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11GEHjFxeQnm-hAZp4e6o8lLZ-4rW8TZP
They both always stay very close to the coop. Did I make a mistake? It's just I can't kill anything especially something valuable to me, nobody that I know wants a rooster or can kill one too, so I don't know what to do.

Do you have photos of the roosters and hen damage?

Let your hens heal, trim the spurs and file them smooth, you can also get some saddles for the ladies as well if they are getting torn up. More than 1 rooster with a few hens, there will be damage. Even though they seem to get along, I bet there is competition. Do you have enough hens and space to make 3 "flocks" - letting each rooster have his own ladies?

I can't say if that's "crying" or not, but he's not a happy boy. I've heard that from rooster(s) when they have been separated from the ladies for various reasons. They seem o.k. as long as they can see the ladies, but once they go up for the night, that rooster can be pitiful.

That sometimes sounds like the purring sound a rooster makes that means "boy have I got a wonderful egg-laying spot for you" that they may use to try to entice a girl closer in, but also parts sound like the aerial warning call, the high-pitched, low-level sound. Will be helpful to hear from others familiar with rooster vocalizations.

I can't hear the audio file...doesn't play when I click link.
But all birds make many different sounds,
I would not call any of them 'crying', like humans do when sad.
I'll bet your hens with wounded backs are not happy tho and may be in pain.

Going on instinct here, that's not a happy boy...

I am in a similar situation, 3 roosters and 14 hens. Mine are great, even the teenage roo. The head roo routinely chases the lesser roos, and they run like hell, but the hens show no damage. They actually like it.

It depends entirely on the individual birds' personalities whether they get along or not. I feel very blessed because I can honestly say all 3 of my boys are very good to the hens, and do no serious damage to each other. They decided to get along, so they do. 2 have spurs.

I would say cut the spurs and reintroduce them. If they still hurt the hens, bachelor flock them.

I can't hear the audio file...doesn't play when I click link.
But all birds make many different sounds,
I would not call any of them 'crying', like humans do when sad.
I'll bet your hens with wounded backs are not happy tho and may be in pain.
It's not playing for me either :hmm

I have been meaning to do some research, I know My oldest Roo actually had one of his spurs fall off and come back, so maybe there is a way to trim or file them down a bit, There are saddle you can put on your hens too to prevent damage from the spurs though I have never had a problem with damage to them unless they were being over mated or a younger rooster/cockerel is forcing himself on them.

I have been meaning to do some research, I know My oldest Roo actually had one of his spurs fall off and come back,
Had that happen here just recently.
The outer sheathing can be 'snapped' off and will reduce the spur size by about half.
The reaming spur will harden back up and continue to grow.
My guy must have gotten it caught in/on something to do that,
wish he had done both of them.

Had that happen here just recently.
The outer sheathing can be 'snapped' off and will reduce the spur size by about half.
The reaming spur will harden back up and continue to grow.
My guy must have gotten it caught in/on something to do that,
wish he had done both of them.
Mine got it going after a neighborhood dog looking through fence at his hens, and chasing him all the way home , none the less said loose dog has not returned again when loose lol

Back
Top Bottom