Do roosters have veins in their spurs?

ChucktheChick

Songster
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
The coop
I have all hens and 3 roosters. My first 2 Roos were the more tame kind, and they don't have long spurs. My 3rd Roo, on the other hand, had long spurs and is very aggressive towards me and my family. It really upsets my because he was such a nice rooster until we got some smaller hens his size. (He's a self blue oegb btw) I want to trim his spurs, but do the spurs have veins that I could nick? I started with some dog clippers at the end of his spurs, but didn't go any farther because I was afraid of hitting any veins. I want to take the most of the spur off but I don't want to twist it or anything like that. He seemed calm when I was clipping them though. So, do they have veins running in their spurs? Thanks in advance!!!

If you cut more than a little off the spur, he will start bleeding. I'm not sure if it would be very harmful if you just cut the whole thing off, but I've learned they are a lot like fingernails. Someone who bites their fingernails ends up with very short nails, but someone who lets them grow and then trims them will have longer nails than the person that bites them. You can at least cut off little sections of it at a time :)

If you haven't been attacked by surprise while bending over, then you will trim spurs until then. The 2 holes , 1 on my face and the other in the back of my head made me change my method. I now nuke a poteato for 8 to 10 minutes or less for small potatoes, until the center is too hot to touch. Holding the rooster under my arm with legs in my front and held together with spurs close to each other, I insert the spurs into the hot potato. I hold it there for 3 plus minutes. I the grab the spurs with pliers, because they are hot and they nearly fall off. There is little or no bleeding and so for, no return spurs. I am not found still of the quirky little beast attacking me from behind, but at least now it's just scratches and not holes that hurt like the dickens and don't heal well. PS: the roosters don't react any worse to the hot potato than they do to be held under my arm.

Back
Top Bottom