Do roosters keep hens in line?

tangerino

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 5, 2008
I've never had a rooster before, but I've read that they keep the hens from fighting with each other so much. Is this true?

Mine tries to. But, the hens learn to squabble with each other while he is not looking !
lau.gif

Our rooster, Roo (yeah, we're wicked creative), is still young but he's mighty! He just started "crowing" this past week but he keeps the ladies in line for the most part. He rounded everyone up this morning and herded the flock into the hen house...something had him worried (hawk? stray dog?) and he played that Y chromosone. ;-)

I have 4 GLW hens that are about 23 weeks old...they arrived about 3 weeks ago...Roo and his flock are a few days shy of 19-20 wks. (best as I can remember). The GLWs aren't always amenable to Roo's "instructions" !!!

I'm glad we have him, b/c he watches over the ladies. I just hope he doesn't turn into an old crank!! ;-)

my roo really started to get better at his job this spring when they were closer to a year old. He will call them back if they cross the road, but they usually dont listen. He will let the babies come up under him to get treats, I saw this today, when the hens are pecking them out of the way. And a couple weeks ago when my moms dog scared 2 and they flew into the weeds to hide he was very concerned and stood by the door calling them over and over. I am very proud of him.

But I should add, last fall they showed him who was boss by plucking his tail feathers while he slept. Every day he had less and less poor fella, they eventually did stop when they were all out but never started again when they grew in.

Last edited:
I have one Rooster with the full grown hens and the more mature pullets. Although he is very attentive to his fertilization duties, sometimes to the point of defeathering their backs, I had no reason to think he was protective or cared about hen pecking orders until yesterday.

Yesterday, one of his original hens was picking a fight with a Hamburgh (bottom of pecking order). He let them go at it for about 40 seconds, then broke it up and went after his girl to put her in her place! She has been quite docile and subdued ever since. She even let me pet her in the nesting box without 'telling' on me! LOL

Quote:
My hens go after my rooster a lot. It's quite funny! My rooster is a little banty and he'll go up to my easter eggers and polish acting all big and bad and they'll peck him on his head. He then turns the other way. LOL

So at my house, my hens keep my rooster in line.

My roo breaks up all the hen fights. I almost feel bad for him. He steps in the middle of their fights and takes the blows.

Back
Top Bottom