Do shell less eggs just fall out or are they laid?

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
One of my 22-week old pullets has been laying shell-less eggs. She's now laid 3-4 over the last 3 weeks. She has not laid a normal egg yet (they eat layer feed and have free access to oyster shells). She's been 'laying' them at night on the roost and I find them in the poop tray in the mornings. However just a few minutes ago I maybe turned away for less than 5 mins while the 4 girls were just playing around in their run and she laid a shell-less egg right there on the ground in the middle of normal activity! I didn't see it happen but I definitely know that she wasn't sitting there on the ground in laying mode!
So I ask...do shell-less eggs get laid (forcibly pushed out) by a hen? Or does it just kind of fall out involuntarily like poop?! I ask because it seems to me like maybe they just come out?? So confused. First time chicken mom of 4 here.

Ok I will! How much do I give and how do I administer? 1 pill crushed into their/her food?
Have you ever given your hens yogurt? If so, I just dip the tablet in yogurt and hold it out in the palm of my hand and the pullet/hen more often than not will just eat it.
If they don't, I sit on my knees, stuff the bird between my thighs and hold her body with my thighs and her head with one hand, pry open her beak and pop the tablet in. Once she swallows I immediately let her go and give her several treats to keep things positive. Always try to just let her take it from you each time.

Membrane intact but no hard shell(called a soft shell) or just yolk and whites coming out??

Says right there....

Just give it to her, not the

Have you ever given your hens yogurt? If so, I just dip the tablet in yogurt and hold it out in the palm of my hand and the pullet/hen more often than not will just eat it.
If they don't, I sit on my knees, stuff the bird between my thighs and hold her body with my thighs and her head with one hand, pry open her beak and pop the tablet in. Once she swallows I immediately let her go and give her several treats to keep things positive. Always try to just let her take it from you each time.
She's never had yogurt but I'll give it a try! None of them are picky eaters so hopefully she'll take it with not trouble. Thanks!

My sweet girl spent 2 hours in the nest box and just laid her 1st good egg just now! It's small with white spots on it but it's got a good hard shell on it. :thumbsup
Do you think I should give the calcium citrate? (It's arriving tomorrow so I hadn't given her any yet).
20211017_133123.jpg

My sweet girl spent 2 hours in the nest box and just laid her 1st good egg just now! It's small with white spots on it but it's got a good hard shell on it. :thumbsup
Do you think I should give the calcium citrate? (It's arriving tomorrow so I hadn't given her any yet).
See how she does with the next couple of eggs. If they're all hard from this point on, maybe her body is getting with the program. If you still have soft shelled eggs on and off, I'd get extra calcium into her to see if you can get her to produce normal eggs more consistently.

Back
Top Bottom