Do Silkie Bantams make good pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why a chicken? Well, I've been raising chickens as pets since I was a child in Puerto Rico. In case u were wondering, I cared for them all on my own and did a darn good job at it. They all lived full happy lives, except the last one whom I lost tragically. Anyway, I don't want a rabbit or a cat. Already had them as pets and the rabbits are boring and the cats I just don't trust. Lol. So, I did find a site where it does allow u to purchase min 5 or even min 3, depending on the breed. Now with what u're telling though I think I'm going to have to resort to plan B and hope they accept. I'll purchase the minimum, take what I need and donate the rest to them. Yup, sounds like a plan. Thank u for ur help. Appreciate it.

Did you raise your chickens in Puerto Rico in your house? Sorry I'm no expert on house chickens, I only have them in my house if they are sick or in the brooder.
I just think chickens should have a life where they can forage and enjoy the sun and dirt and do normal chicken things rather then be cooped up inside a house. My opinion though, others on here do have house chickens and think that is best in their chicken's situation.
Anyway, good luck with it all. Wishing all the best for your chicken's life.

Silkies are fairly dumb, most smarter breeds (like say buttercups) tend to be a little more flighty and come with 'smart bird issues', if you don't mind me asking why do you want an intelligent chicken? : D
Well, not necessarily ntelligent more like sharp enough to be aware of situations, people, surroundings, etc...I love my animals so much and bestow so much affection on them that I would love for them to have the capacity to comprehend how much he's loved and equally reciprocate. Anyway, I can thankfully say that all of my pets are smart. Wait, hold on, lies. Lol. Not all of them. As much as it pains me to say this because I love them so much...The quails have issues. And, that's all I'm going to say about that. Haha.

Did you raise your chickens in Puerto Rico in your house? Sorry I'm no expert on house chickens, I only have them in my house if they are sick or in the brooder.
I just think chickens should have a life where they can forage and enjoy the sun and dirt and do normal chicken things rather then be cooped up inside a house. My opinion though, others on here do have house chickens and think that is best in their chicken's situation.
Anyway, good luck with it all. Wishing all the best for your chicken's life.
I raised all my chickens at home (indoors). I would agree with u 100% if this were a case where a chicken is just being kept as an addition to a flock at somebody's farm or something. I, on the other hand, domesticate them to become pets which is not a difficult task actually being that chickens are pretty bright and adaptable. Now, if u're not going to dedicate 1 on 1 time and attention to ur chicken then he definitely needs to be in the type of environment that u just mentioned. I offer them a different type of life though. Let me tell u that it's not easy, it takes a true commitment but the rewards are so worth it. Btw, not once have any of my chickens gotten sick or injured, knock on wood. Anyway, u seem really sweet. Thank u so much for the advice.

Because you want a chicken to literally sleep in your bed you said 😨
U act like u never heard of chickens sleeping with people before. Lol. U must be from the countryside somewhere. Let me tell u that if it were all up to me, one dog would sleep by my feet, the other by my ribs, the quails on the pillow next to me, the chicken perched on my calves, the starlings on my head, the pigeons under the sheets with me and the husband in the other room 'cause there won't be any space left for him. Haha.

At the moment I don't have any other chickens. Oh, I forgot to mention one thing...I live in an apartment in the city and so he's going to be sleeping with me, literally in the same bed. Therefore, I would prefer a chicken that is not going to make too much noise, that doesn't poop too much (perhaps the smaller the breed the smaller the poop?) and who loves receiving tons of affection.
Excuse me I have a quick question...
Are you planning on having the chicken sleep under the covers with you?

Ok yeah, you can train a Silkie to jump up to your lap or something like that but not flips or rolling over I should think 🤣 ... A cat is a better option for an indoor pet, can you train them to roll over?
@Northwest_Wannabe u hit the nail in the head. That's exactly what I want to do...teach them tricks. I mean, how else are they going to work at the circus?? 😂🤣

Excuse me I have a quick question...
Are you planning on having the chicken sleep under the covers with you?
I wouldn't mind that if that his choice but from past experiences they prefer sleeping on my legs. The ones who like sleeping between my legs and behind my knees are the dogs. 😁 Does that answer ur question??

I wouldn't mind that if that his choice but from past experiences they prefer sleeping on my legs. The ones who like sleeping between my legs and behind my knees are the dogs. 😁 Does that answer ur question??
No it doesn't. Just don't force a chicken to sleep under a blanket with you. It will not end well.

No it doesn't. Just don't force a chicken to sleep under a blanket with you. It will not end well.
Wtf??!!! Lol. First of all, did I mention anything about forcing?? I don't know what u're into buddy but u're beginning to freak me out a bit. Haha. So, chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom