Do Silkies just not crow...or is mine just broken?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FLchook, Mar 25, 2008.

1. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    [​IMG]

After weeks of silence, I was looking forward to hearing my new boy crow. Thus far he has crowed once, and I only heard that on the phone when mom called to tell me....Ah..Dana got your a rooster, not a hen. [​IMG]

So is it common for a silkie boy to not crow, or is mine just shy?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    he may crow. I had one who I thought would never ever crow. I got rid of his buddies and now he crows for a few hours

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    How old is yours? Mine is almost a year old and crows a lot during the morning. He has a sweet low pitched crow, I can tell it's him (among the 15+ other roosters I have) just by the sound.

Yours may not crow because there are no other roosters around.

4. Vagirl

Vagirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    Virginia
    My silky boys all crow. But I have other roosters, maybe they learned off of them!!

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I have a lone rooster, and he's a silky and about 17 wks or so and he crows the sweetest crow!

6. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I have no other roosters. As for age, well all I can tell is that he is full grown. [​IMG] A friend bought it for me while I was on vacation. Think he thought it was a hen, not a rooster. Credit to him, silkies are hard to tell. hehe. Maybe he is crowing and Im just not hearing it.

My other 2 boys were loud mouths, and like to let themselves be heard at all times of the day. Id hear them at 5:30 when im heading out tot he gym, and they would still be at it when I got back.

Ill just have to listen harder hehe

Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by