do silkies make good adition to a flock

I got my Silkie girls with a pair of Leghorns and they grew up with no issues. Added in two Easter Eggers, a Maran and a Silkie roo and still have no issue.

However I have a seriously chill flock. Even when I introduced ducklings at two different times they didn't attack any of the new birds.

I think that silkies are a great addition to any flock. It would be ideal if they were all raised together from chicks, but I have had good experiences with established flocks adding silkies. All chickens have different personalities. Some are just more aggressive than others. Just make sure you have at least two silkies in your flock

so that they can sleep together on the floor.

I have 5 Silkies who I thought were all hens but I believe 3/5 are Roosters. I want to add 2 Easter Eggers Hens and 2 blue laced Wyandotte hens. How do you think that will fair out? I've never had anything other than Silkies. Any help is appreciated.
1f60a.png

I have 5 Silkies who I thought were all hens but I believe 3/5 are Roosters. I want to add 2 Easter Eggers Hens and 2 blue laced Wyandotte hens. How do you think that will fair out? I've never had anything other than Silkies. Any help is appreciated.
1f60a.png

Now THAT is doable :)

You'll probably have to pick and keep just one roo, though. 3 will be too many and from my experience with silkies, the roos are like chihuahuas lol; they think they're scarier if they act like they're tough ha-ha. My silkie roo was really rough on my big hens and avoided his girls. He was weird, though, so don't let his issues ruin your idea ;)

It would be WAY easier to incorporate chicks of bigger breeds, though, that way the silkies have the upper hand to begin with. There won't be near as many pecking order issues that way, and when the hens are mature, they will know the silkies, not think they're intruders or snacks. And silkies probably won't harass chicks near as much as an adult large breed would harass silkies.

Adults might fare fine too if numbers are more even like that :)

Last edited:

Now THAT is doable :)

You'll probably have to pick and keep just one roo, though. 3 will be too many and from my experience with silkies, the roos are like chihuahuas lol; they think they're scarier if they act like they're tough ha-ha. My silkie roo was really rough on my big hens and avoided his girls. He was weird, though, so don't let his issues ruin your idea ;)

It would be WAY easier to incorporate chicks of bigger breeds, though, that way the silkies have the upper hand to begin with. There won't be near as many pecking order issues that way, and when the hens are mature, they will know the silkies, not think they're intruders or snacks. And silkies probably won't harass chicks near as much as an adult large breed would harass silkies.

Adults might fare fine too if numbers are more even like that :)[/quote

Absolutely amazing advice! Thank you SO much! Now the trick is finding them! Lol Chickens are few and far between here for some reason. I'm having to drive 2 hours one way to get 2 birds.
1f61e.png
And 2 hours in another direction to get 2 more.
1f62d.png
Not to mention I haven't gotten a single egg yet, Freeloaders. Lol

Back
Top Bottom