1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do skunks hurt chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by laura625, Sep 12, 2012.

1. laura625

laura625 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2012
    or just steal eggs?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Small chicks may tempt them but they love eggs : }

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Skunks will Kill chickens and eggs as long as they are around. If you see a problem you need to get rid of the dank skunk. They can climb over under through anything they can to get to them.
    you can use Live trap catchers that can be bought at your local tractor supply Company.
    But I suggest putting a tarp over the part that the animal does not enter from...that way when you go to move it (relocate, or whatever you want to do with it), that you do not get sprayed. Make sure to wear OLD clothes, gloves and to have a mask handy for the smell.
    Hope this helps, and best wishes,
    Laura

4. laura625

May 19, 2012
    Thank you, very helpful.
    Has any of you lost chickens to skunks?
    I
    Imagine that short of encasing the whole coop in hwcloth, it would be very hard to skunkproof.
    I wonder how many skunks might be on the 5acres the chickens range..I wnder how far
    Skunks travel...
    I havent Seen any skunks on the proprry, but swe know they are around... would it make sense to set traps? Just so that any skunk that gets too close to the oens gets attracted to bait and caught?
    I dont want to end up attracting them..

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Yes, the skunks are TERRIBLE this year! I lost 2 hens to skunks so far this summer. Those stinky little hellions went right underneath my electric fence and helped themselves 2 nights in a row. I waited inside the doorway of my coop the 3rd night and blew that little bugger to smitherines. After that, I've kept a close eye on the coop and have shot over 30 of those little devils!

6. laura625

May 19, 2012
    Wow! 30. Those little buggers run Thick.
    I have only a BB gun..:/v,
    Sorry about your chickens. Sounds like you saved many more than you lost.

Luckily, I expect to b getting my 8 birds into better accomadations by the end of october...
    By them they will have started laying.
    I wonder what I could do to keep skunks away in the first place..

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I don't know what would work to keep them away. My poor neighbor, he has 2 ouside dogs that roam the property and the one got sprayed twice in two days [​IMG]. They also lost chickens but had absolutely no success trapping them in live traps. I believe they tried everything from fruit to eggs to leftover chicken dinner in the trap.

8. luvmychixandducks

luvmychixandducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Danvers, Massachusetts
    A skunk repeatedly dug under my pigeon loft- day 1 I lost two young birds, day 2 (I put a large boulder in the hole- skunk dug right around it- ) cost the rest of the eggs being incubated (pigeons only raise two at a time). Day 3 A shootout ensued- we both shot and neither missed. Had one come back again in late fall/early winter and I threw a lally column at it- a glancing blow but discouraged it from coming back to attack my rabbits. I actually saw it dive at the wire trying to get at my doe. They are opportunists- will take a shot at anything edible and powerless to defend themselves, I guess. Too bad they don't like possum. They can eat all I have...

9. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    And they will climb chicken wire. My mother in law has an 8ft ft chicken run with no roof( much to my dislike and repeated disapproval) and went out one morning to find a skunk in with her chickens killing 3 large hens.... There was no other way in except to climb the run. Sneaking little devils!

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We have lost birds to skunks and opossums this year. More to the opossums than the skunks, but they are both trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by