Do some ducks moult worse than others? pic of molt

SportTees

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Southern Middle Tennessee
Can you post pics of a duck in molt? I have never noticed my ducks moulting like this- she has allot of bare spots on her sides. I'm wondering if she is just moulting hard or the other s are picking on her. I can't post pics from the computer or I would. Thanks

How many drakes do you have? My poor ducks were pretty bare-backed this spring, since there is just about even numbers in ducks and drakes. When they started molting they really looked bad. Unfortunately, all my 'older' ducks decided to go broody, and subsequently were eaten by something, so I can't take pics of them. The younger ones don't have this problem.

mine are molting but you cant tell except some down showing on there chests you might have some mating going on or something you might have some domestic disputes is the bird from a outside source??

I think, like chooks, some molt worse than others. I have Muscovies and the adults have begun molting. One of the girls looked pretty bad for a short while but Duke, our drake, is molting the absolute worst. He looks like a bad taxidermy job.
lau.gif
And when he takes his daily bath, being a Scovy, he looks even worse, poor boy.
Here he is!
4725_p1020546.jpg

One of my female Cayugas molted when I first got her and the whole back of her neck was bare. She had a reverse mohawk down her neck. And I'm absolutely sure it wasn't being pecked at.

-Kim

Thanks - the pic of the scovie is how my others looked when they went threw moult. It may be a mating problem because I have 2 scovie drakes that every chance they get down her. I try to keep them away and when I see them on her I knock them off. This batch of ducks is young just coming into mating. I think I may need to get some more hens- anyone have a scovie hen and a few Roen I could borrow
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom