Do some hens not lay? Help.

ReadingRAEnBo

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2020
Emmy, a hen we adopted in August (who I think was an April chick but not 100%) has been sitting in the nest off and on for over a month and singing when she comes out....but there's no egg! This morning I sat with her the entire time to make sure my dog hasn't been eating it (which she is sometime guilty of...jerk) or Emmy hasn't been eating it and there was just nothing. She sat, covered herself with straw, was in there about 45-1hr, came out and sang. I'm confused? She's happy-go-lucky, she eats, runs around with other chickens and otherwise seems well.
20201217_113030.jpg
20201217_113115.jpg
20201217_113045.jpg

Since the hours of daylight are shorter this time of year (assuming you live in the northern hemisphere), she might not lay until they get longer again. She sounds and looks like it could be any time though.
I was just confused because she was sitting and singing but not laying. I THINK she may have laid 1 about a month and a half ago, but it might have been one of my other EEs. My RIRs, bantam and other EE are still laying regularly. I just don't want something to be wrong with her. She's such a sweetie.

If you're in the northern hemisphere its not uncommon for them to not be laying at all currently. My girls usually lay almost every day in the spring-fall but then in the winter I'm lucky to get 2-3 per week.

If you're in the northern hemisphere its not uncommon for them to not be laying at all currently. My girls usually lay almost every day in the spring-fall but then in the winter I'm lucky to get 2-3 per week.
I am in the northern hemisphere. Middle Tennessee. My main concern is her health. None of my other hens sit and sing without laying. Maybe its a quirk?

As a side note, she's not very good about being a chicken. I often watch her watch the other chickens. I can throw out bread and she'll peck all around that little morsel before eventually managing to snag it.

I am in the northern hemisphere. Middle Tennessee. My main concern is her health. None of my other hens sit and sing without laying. Maybe its a quirk?

As a side note, she's not very good about being a chicken. I often watch her watch the other chickens. I can throw out bread and she'll peck all around that little morsel before eventually managing to snag it.

I mean as long as she's acting fine otherwise eating/drinking and normal poops I wouldn't be too worried.

Have you done a pelvic bone check?
I have an eight month old that I swear will forever be a dud. She has a sever crossbeak and is underweight compared to the others. A pelvic bone check confirms she has yet to lay or even come close to laying. Even my five month old pullets are laying, but not this chick😒

Have you done a pelvic bone check?
I have an eight month old that I swear will forever be a dud. She has a sever crossbeak and is underweight compared to the others. A pelvic bone check confirms she has yet to lay or even come close to laying. Even my five month old pullets are laying, but not this chick😒
How could she be laying when she obviously is not even able to feed herself the necessary amount to gain a healthy weight? I would not expect an egg from her in a long time, if any at all.

Back
Top Bottom