Do Squirrels Steal Eggs?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CottageChicken22, Sep 22, 2008.

1. CottageChicken22

CottageChicken22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Do Squirrels Steal Eggs? particularly fox squirrels. Just wondering since I have at least a MILLION fox squirrels where I live.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a lot of fox squirrels where I live. The fox squirrels have nests in the trees in my back yard. We made a feeding station for them with sunflower seeds. They go by my coop, run and range area all the time and barely look at the birds and the birds could care less about the fox squirrels, but the gray squirrels I chase off as they get into everything, but I have never seen them bother the chickens either.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I have a whole bunch of old nut trees from walnuts to hazel nuts to horse chestnuts and therefore a ton of squirrels. I was worried because squirrels were getting in through the vent in the top of my coop and burying nuts in the bedding. As soon as I moved 2 chickens out there though they stopped. Now with 11 chickens in the coop they avoid it. I haven't seen signs of a single one setting foot inside. They don't seem to bother chickens or even their feed.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Squirrels will eat eggs and baby birds.

Jody

5. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I have a couple of squirrels stealing chick food. They do not seem interested in the layer feed. So, in a few weeks, the problems should be solved.

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    They do like the chicken feed at my house, but havet seemed to bother with eggs at all.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I caught a squirrel messing with an egg and when I had the audacity to shoo him away, he spent a good long time scolding me about it and telling me what he thought of me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by