Do "Standard" size Silkies exist in US?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pascopol, Sep 12, 2010.

1. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Silkies are considered bantams here although they are larger than average bantam chicken.

Supposedly in Europe (UK) they exist as a large fowl also:

http://www.courtneypoultry.co.uk/id4.html

Any comments or input?

I never raised Silkies, but a standard size silkie hen would be very useful hatching large eggs like ducks or peacocks.

Diannastarr likes this.
  2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    In every country in the World Silkies are light large fowl, except the US & Canada, but looking at the SOP weights there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.
    If you want a large Silkie type broody breed a White Silkie to a White Wyandotte, then do a brother/sister mating with the resulting chickens. This will give you a silkie feathered large white broody fowl.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Diannastarr, Adrien515 and bappl like this.
  3. pascopol

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Thanks for advice, however I do not have time to breed larger Silkies. I need them NOW!

Anybody has OVERSIZED Silkies?

As long as they want to hatch any ping-pong or tenis ball ;l; I could not care less about color, or wheter or not they are "bearded", "muffed", "frizzled" or how many toes they have.

I want oversized Silkies darn it! [​IMG]

Diannastarr likes this.
  4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    we have an intermediate size silkie here. They are inbetween Europes LF and Bantam

Diannastarr likes this.
  5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Since you don't have time to try and breed for a larger chicken with the potential attributes of a LF silkie...and you want it NOW as you put it, what do you need/want one for? Looks? Broody ability? If thats the case just get large game hens or LF cochins both are exceptional broodies and mothers. There are other chickens that are as good if not better in the mothering/brooding department then a silkie as a silkie has the tendancy to over brood and stress themselves out especially since they like to brood all year round in some cases.

Diannastarr likes this.
  6. pascopol

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I visited your website, however did not find any Silkies there.

7. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010

They meant here in the US.

Diannastarr likes this.
  8. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana

Yeah in the US. If you check the standard weights for the American Silkie and the European Bantam Silkie I do believe you will find ours are bigger than their bantams and smaller than their large fowl.

But I have owned Silkies though. I like them just not as much as I like Ameraucanas and d'Uccles.

Diannastarr likes this.
  9. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    here are the standard weights.

British (I'm sure its not the same in all European countries but its to prove a point)

Large Fowl Silkies
    Roosters- 4lbs Hens-3lbs

Bantams
    Roosters- 22oz Hens-18oz

This is the weight of our Silkies which are considered bantams

Roosters- 36oz Cockerels- 32oz
    Hens- 32oz Pullets- 28oz

So you see that the US Silkie being bantam is a bit bigger than the British Silkie which in this example I'm using to represent the European Silkies. The large fowl are actually pretty small. So it may only take a couple generations to get a LF Silkie. The roosters weigh about two pounds you only need to add two pounds to that.

Here is a link about British Silkies
    http://www.hamblevalleypoultry.co.uk/silkie_show_standards_12.html

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
  10. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Quote:Good to know. Thanks for posting it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by