Do the eggs affect the humidity level?

FC16

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK 🇬🇧
This probably sounds stupid but I’m still very new to this.
I’ve had issues with humidity and temp on my last hatch I did (which was my 2nd time doing it)
I’ve got 12 Silkie eggs arriving in 2 days which I’m hoping for high success on

I’ve got the incubator to a level where the temp is 38.5 degrees Celsius (101F) and humidity 55%, which I think is the correct level for hatching if what I have read is right.

my question is, once I put the eggs in, will that affect the humidity? Will it make the humidity increase/decrease or will it stay the same?

if not, is it a good idea to start running the incubator a couple days before and get to grips with humidity properly before putting them in?

Yes the eggs affect the humidity level when you first put them in. It will increase the humidity to add eggs but it should stabilize after a couple days.
Its always good to get your incubator up and running before you have eggs to put in it.

Yes the eggs affect the humidity level when you first put them in. It will increase the humidity to add eggs but it should stabilize after a couple days.
Its always good to get your incubator up and running before you have eggs to put in it.
So should I put enough water in a few days before to put it to around 45%so that once the eggs go in it will stablizise to should 50-55%

I incubate at around 30-45%. I wouldn't put any water in the first day to see where it is and how much water you need to add. It should just be a small amount.

I would aim for 40-45% humidity for the first 18 days.... in my experience anything over 50% is too high.

Also it's not the 'amount' of water that gives you the humidity change.... its the size of surface area of water. So experiment with a couple of different sized containers to see how the amount of water surface area affects the humidity.

Last edited:
Also do you have a still air incubator or a forced air incubator?

38.5 deg is too hot for a forced air incubator
Oh I’m not actually too sure I think it’s still , it’s not a very good incubator at all to be honest it looks like this
1B6590A0-AE4B-4651-9C78-08A9B282C931.jpeg

Can I ask how much the humidity will increase with eggs? It’s just the humidity is around 32% right now which I think is too low

Back
Top Bottom