Do the girls need food at night ??

mrszlopez

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Jackson,NJ
So we finally moved our 3month old girls into the coop. They get locked in the hutch at night to be safe & ive been wondering if i should put their food & water in with them.
Its not a very large hutch, so im not sure if i should do it. Opinions wanted !

chickengrl

Songster
9 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Northern Virginia
When they roost up at night they are not eating or drinking. So, I would say no need. I would let them out as soon as you can so they do have access to is fairly soon after waking up. Our coop is a shed, so we always have it out for them, but they don't use it at night. I hope that helps!
smile.png

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I want my animals to have food & water available at all times. I feel better knowing that when they get up the food & water is there for them. If I'm late letting them out are whatever they won't be thirsty are hungry.

Saltysteele

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
MI
they don't need it at night. they're sleeping most of the time.

just like humans, they have fat stores and can go a bit without food (you don't have to get up at 6:30 a.m. to let them out, they'll be fine)
smile.png

Mama Austranought

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Western Australia
I do because I find they like to just go into their coop and hang out for a while even when free ranging. Also I like them to be able to have access to water and food - they get up with the sun which a lot earlier than I do! If their access to water is stopped, even for a short time, it can affect their laying. Mine hang from the roof of their small, night time "A" frame coop.

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
I feed my 16 at night, along with always having water available. In the morning, the food is all gone, so I take that as a hint...soon they will be free ranging all day, they are only 6 weeks old now, and I will still keep the food inside...previous poster is right, never know if I will get out there early enough to feed...I sleep better knowing they have something.

Top Bottom