1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do the girls need food at night ??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrszlopez, May 22, 2011.

1. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    So we finally moved our 3month old girls into the coop. They get locked in the hutch at night to be safe & ive been wondering if i should put their food & water in with them.
    Its not a very large hutch, so im not sure if i should do it. Opinions wanted !

2. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    When they roost up at night they are not eating or drinking. So, I would say no need. I would let them out as soon as you can so they do have access to is fairly soon after waking up. Our coop is a shed, so we always have it out for them, but they don't use it at night. I hope that helps! [​IMG]

3. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Quote:Thanks ! I put them in at about 6 or 7pm & let them out the next morning at about 8am

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I want my animals to have food & water available at all times. I feel better knowing that when they get up the food & water is there for them. If I'm late letting them out are whatever they won't be thirsty are hungry.

5. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    they don't need it at night. they're sleeping most of the time.

just like humans, they have fat stores and can go a bit without food (you don't have to get up at 6:30 a.m. to let them out, they'll be fine) [​IMG]

6. Mama Austranought

Mama Austranought Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Western Australia
    I do because I find they like to just go into their coop and hang out for a while even when free ranging. Also I like them to be able to have access to water and food - they get up with the sun which a lot earlier than I do! If their access to water is stopped, even for a short time, it can affect their laying. Mine hang from the roof of their small, night time "A" frame coop.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Food & water the necessity of life. Your right especially with chickens you never know when their gonna eat.

8. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Mine do not eat or drink at night. I would only put food and water in the coop at night if you felt you were not going to let them out in the day time.
    Caroline

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I feed my 16 at night, along with always having water available. In the morning, the food is all gone, so I take that as a hint...soon they will be free ranging all day, they are only 6 weeks old now, and I will still keep the food inside...previous poster is right, never know if I will get out there early enough to feed...I sleep better knowing they have something.

10. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

At some point they may want or need a midnight snack? I prefer twinkies or zingers myself....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by