Do the no-crow rooster collars actually work?

I'm trying to train mine not to crow. I get after him with the spray bottle every time I hear him doing it. I've heard of people using a water hose but that seems a bit much. Thus far it's been pretty effective, as he was crowing 4 sets of 3-6 crows a day and he didn't crow at all today.

I'll tell you exactly how I do it in case you want to give it a go. I keep the spray bottle outside and full so it's easy to get to. The first few times you do it he probably will have no idea what's going on, and that's good. When I hear the crowing, I quickly go outside, grab the bottle, get close enough to the rooster to reach him with the stream setting, and wait. As soon as he crows again, let loose, and don't stop immediately. Give him a good drenching if it isn't too cold (or unsafe) to do so. Wait a little while before you leave in case he decides to crow again. If he does, give him another several sprays.

Then leave him alone. Repeat each time you hear the crow. Eventually he will notice you coming and he won't crow as you approach. Now he knows he's doing wrong and is trying to avoid the consequences, so you still gotta give him the business. He might try to run. Don't chase, just walk after him till you're close enough to hit him with the water and keep going till he's good and annoyed at the dampness. Then leave him alone.

I can't guarantee this'll work with all roosters, but most chickens hate getting wet, and you can use that to your advantage. Good luck!

My roo has a no crow. He's had it for more than a year now with no issues. They're more correctly called a "crow less loudly collar" because they do not stop the crowing. If your roo stops crowing, you've likely strangled the poor thing. Proper fitment and adjustment are the key to using a crow collar, and the effectiveness is going to vary from bird to bird. You need to have it under the neck feathers and be able to slide the tip of your pinkie in under it, or it's too tight. Cluck still crows, but he's quiet enough that he doesn't bother my neighbors (live in a subdivision). I would also strongly suggest feeding crumble instead of pellets with a crow collar, just to minimize any potential risk of food getting trapped by it (and again, if you're fitting it right, this is a nonissue and just extra precaution).
Do you recommend any brand in particular ?

Back
Top Bottom