Do these chickens just know what to do?!

Ticktockchooks

Chirping
Aug 21, 2022
Ok.. so I'm clearly new to this chicken world, so please bear with me!
I have 3 silkie girls who are all laying regularly. I've never had a broody episode that I've heard others talk about. Mine just lay their eggs and leave the coop. So how does this work if I want them to hatch the eggs? If I just don't collect the eggs will the naturally do it, or does it just not work like that?!

Unfortunately broodiness has been bred out of many breeds, as egg producers wanted them to lay not hatch. It also depends on age. I have 2 broody right now and both are just about 9 months old. One hatched out none of her eggs but 6 from 2 other hens. Another hen issitting on 3 eggs, one of hers and 2 from other hens. I did not want to break them and have a farm so it was not anissue.

It's like when you want your mom to make her delicious, one-of-a-kind cream sauce.
You can stare at the side of her head all you want, but it's not going to change whether she's willing to do all that stirring.
And you know if she does happen to feel like making it, she's not letting you anywhere near the pan to help.

T
It's like when you want your mom to make her delicious, one-of-a-kind cream sauce.
You can stare at the side of her head all you want, but it's not going to change whether she's willing to do all that stirring.
And you know if she does happen to feel like making it, she's not letting you anywhere near the pan to help.
Hat is possibly the most awesome way of describing it, thanks for the morning smile

Hat is possibly the most awesome way of describing it, thanks for the morning smile
And you know if she does happen to feel like making it, she's not letting you anywhere near
Unfortunately broodiness has been bred out of many breeds, as egg producers wanted them to lay not hatch. It also depends on age. I have 2 broody right now and both are just about 9 months old. One hatched out none of her eggs but 6 from 2 other hens. Another hen issitting on 3 eggs, one of hers and 2 from other hens. I did not want to break them and have a farm so it was not anissue.
Ah ok, so all I can do is leave the eggs there and see if they do their thang?? Would they usually wait until they have a little clutch and then start sitting on them?

You could leave a few eggs in the coop and see if it helps them go broody but it’s something people do to increase the chances of a broody- not a high chance of working so don’t use good eggs. Wait for one to decide to go broody- once she’s properly sitting then you can put the eggs you want her to hatch under her

I find that leaving eggs (ceramic of course) in the boxes makes them go broody.
Once I was dealing with some family stuff and I didn't collect the eggs for a few days, and I had 4 hens go broody. (Including silkies)

You could leave a few eggs in the coop and see if it helps them go broody but it’s something people do to increase the chances of a broody- not a high chance of working so don’t use good eggs. Wait for one to decide to go broody- once she’s properly sitting then you can put the eggs you want her to hatch under her
I agree; instead of real eggs, use fake ones.

Back
Top Bottom