Do these chicks need a heat lamp?

Reurra

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
Im not sure of the age of these chicks. I got them back at the beginning of May. Around the 6th or so. Im trying to decide wether or not to take them off the lamp. The weather has been very warm and the nights have been 50F on average. We keep them indoors and the temp never drops below 50-60F. Im concerned about thier light, they are always sticking thier head in there and i dont want them to go blind. If I move the light to the upper cage I dont think it will do much good in the heat department. Any suggestions? Im guessing the age of my birds at about 4-5 weeks now. When i picked them up all they had were wing feathers. I do know one of them is just about one week younger than the other birds.

No, it looks like these girls are ready to be seperated from the heat lamp...
This is about the age I took my girls off of the heat lamp's protection...
Best of Luck!

Chickiegirls2

frow.gif

lol thanks!!
big_smile.png
Today I left it off for most of the day, now its getting cooler, around 67F outside. I turned it on and they all ran under it and started scuffling for the prime warm spot lol. They are scared of the light being off too. They go into hysterics when its dark. I think they are being total pansies. Of course, that must be why they are called chickens!!

If they dont really need the heat lamp you could try cutting back to a nightlight. Just so they are not in total dark. Of course im not one to talk. My chickies are 6 weeks now and i still have a heat lamp on in the coop at night. Makes me feel better for now

They look pretty well feathered, they should be fine without a heat lamp. However leaving a "night light" on will help them see when it's dark.

Back
Top Bottom