Do these exist?

Wish I could help you...
sad.png

The turkey known as the Broad Breasted Bronze in the early 1930s through the late 1950s is nearly identical to today’s Heritage Bronze turkey. The Standard's weights for adult Bronze turkeys are 36 pounds for toms and 20 pounds for hens. I have never had any go lame. Blackwing bronze are rare, and the same size. Also the white Hollands. Many of the other non palm breeds are in the 33 pound range for a tom. Keep in mind that the birds are only as good as the breeder you get them from. Many birds now a days are undersized and need you to select for utility in all areas.

From http://www.goodshepherdpoultryranch.com/history.html

The bronze turkeys raised at Good Shepherd Turkey Ranch have a long history. Most of the bloodline comes from Norman Kardosh. Norman got his genetics from his Mother. Mrs. Kardosh first developed her bloodline from Birds Brothers. In 1917, she purchased just 10 eggs from Birds Brothers (their ad is seen here, on the right). The eggs were $5.00 each, a lot of money in 1917. Five poults hatched from those eggs and that was the beginning. Other blood lines were added to this, but all Good Shepherd Bronze Heritage Turkeys can be traced to this start.

Grand Master Exhibitors Through December 2008 100 points earned within a single variety http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/GrandMasterPoints_2008.pdf
Reese
, Frank R Jr
Bronze Turkey
Gray Toulouse
Narragansett Turkey
Rouen

The Reese family have raised their line of Bronze Turkeys since 1917. Frank is a licensed judge and a Grand Master Exhibitor. Most would agree that Frank Reese has the best quality of the breeds he raises. He also wrote the definition for what a Heritage Poultry is for the ALBC.

We are pleased to announce that Frank R. Reese Jr accepted the nomination and was recently elected to serve the Exhibition Turkey Fanciers as District 6 Director (CO, KS, MO, NE). With his knowledge and experience the ETF is moving forward to promote all varieties of Exhibition Turkeys.

As the old guys told me,

You do not eat the feathers.
If we do not keep these turkeys up to standard weight,
Market weight and good conformation,

We will be in trouble.

Frank R. Reese, Jr.
Good Shepherd Turkey Ranch​

Quote:
So I take it that Good Shepard turkey ranch is the only ones that raise "real turkeys" I guess everybody else might as well just give up then.
smile.png

Steve

yeah lmfao some people think they are a bit more then they are huh like me i am the only place on earth you can buy sand and dirt

I just wanted to know if there are slow growing turkeys out there, like freedom rangers. Im not looking for show quality, lol.

I don't think anyone can dispute Good Shepard's accomplishments or contributions to the birds over the years. If someone is looking to buy foundation stock, it would make way more sense to buy from a breeder with Good Shepard's credentials, rather than "Billy Bob's Turkey Farm". If you are looking to raise the best birds possible, then start with the best birds available. "No brainer" actually.

Back
Top Bottom