Do they all lay brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jollygreenegger1, Jul 22, 2010.

1. jollygreenegger1

jollygreenegger1 New Egg

Nov 16, 2009
    Western WA
    I have 3 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Barred Rocks and what I thought was a Ameraucana, they sold it as that and it looks like one. They started laying 2 weeks ago. The last few days I have had 6 (small) eggs, all brown or light brown. Will the one egg from the Ameraucana start out brown and with time when she gets it right turn green/blue?

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    If you bought your chicks from a feed store, then they got them from a hatchery and what most hatcheries are selling as "Ameraucanas" are actually Easter Eggers. Since EE's are a mixed breed, there are no guarantees as to which traits they will inherit and while most will lay blue-green eggs they can also lay brown eggs (sometimes a very pinkish shade of brown, sometimes a more "regular" shade). Unfortunately, if your "Ameraucana" is laying brown eggs now, that is the color she will lay her entire life.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi there! I think you've got an EE there, and if she's laying a brown egg, then it won't change color to green or blue. Very sorry--I hate to give disappointing news....I love brown eggs though! They're great!

If you really want the green or blue eggs, I would recommend ordering some from the Meyer Hatchery in Polk Ohio. That's where I got mine, and all three lay a nice seafoam green egg.

Now, if you get a true Ameraucana or Araucana from a breeder, then you'll get a nice, pale blue egg......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by