Do they always move when you candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blaundee, Jan 23, 2011.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    When you candle at day 18, do you always see movement?

I have yet to hatch out any chicks, I think I'm the Queen Killer, but I noticed on the last batch of eggs (which DID hatch 4!) that they did not move when they were candled. I didn't think anything of it, until reading that you will know they are alive by them moving in the egg.

2. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    IDK...I'm wondering the same thing! I have 8 sitting under my broody BO (her 1st hatch and MINE too---i'm WAY more nervous than her! [​IMG]) but I think i candled on day 18 and only saw maybe 2 moving...[​IMG] the others i still saw veins and blobs but nothing i can see. im a nervous wreck.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    new at this. just had 7 hatch out of 12 eggs. I saw them move in the beginning. But did not see them move at lockdown. Good luck:fl

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

No, I do not. By day 18 - the shell is so full of chick I mostly see black and then an air cell.

I do see movement at day 10 - but not always in all eggs.

5. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Maybe I candle an excessively long time or something but I usually wait until I see movement. If you look really really close at one of the veins or something you can usually see the heartbeat. Maybe I just have a really good flashlight, hahaha.

6. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I didn't always see movement when candling mine, but you can see veins and other developing objects...

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Generally, if you look closely you should be able to see some movement. I would be concerned if I didn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by