Do they do this due to the heat?

That photo is a perfect illustration of a hot chicken.

Shade, plenty of water, electrolytes, access to ground where they can dig down to a cooler layer, and good airflow will help.

Just like people, chickens facing sudden heat seem to have more trouble than chickens that have acclimated to heat at the same temperatures. I read here about chickens panting and holding their wings out at 85F (29C), where that would be a cool summer day for my chickens, who are used to 90-95F (32-35C) as their normal temperatures.

My chickens spend most of their summer afternoons dug into pits in the shady sections of the run.

Thanks, we bought a big watermelon + a cantaloupe again today, sometimes my husband and me will laugh at each other: We shop meats for dogs and cats, veggies and fruits for hens :lau
In the evening after I get home from work I mix their feed with water to make an oatmeal consistency and chuck it in the freezer. When it's time for them to go back in the run I pull that dish of somewhat frozen mash out put a little extra water on top and they come running!

Interestingly, I see mine do it most often in the evening after it's cooled off already. They must notice that their body temp is a lot higher than the air. Like @3KillerBs , mine like to pick a nice shady spot and dig in.
IMG_20210619_083536.jpg

Back
Top Bottom