Do they eat lots of spiders?

lilstar

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Okay I know this is a kind of silly question. I really, really dislike spiders. I kind of see chickens eating spiders out of the yard as a nice little side perk of owning chickens. How useful can I expect them to be? I have 6 chicks in the brooder. Last summer, spiders were SO very out of control, we literally didn't go in the backyard it was HORRIBLE. You know those action movies where the hero is like, dodging a complex maze of lasers to avoid tripping the alarm? It was like that, but with spider webs. Grooooossss. So, I would be very much appreciative of my birds if they would take care of the problem
smile.png
We've moved since last summer, and now have a nice big property with a small corner that, to a small child at least, seems like "the woods" Its enough that there's clearly defined trails to walk through, but still quite a small area. Right now I'm enjoying my backyard, being able to walk through said mini trails without getting a face full of web. And I quite enjoy it! Spider season hasn't begun yet, but when it does.. bleh. If I let them free range at least part of the day, will they be pretty good at keeping the population in check?

And maybe a little sillier.. don't laugh
tongue.png
but.. if I see a spider in the house and my husband isn't home to save me, if I brought a bird in the house and showed it where it was, would it be smart enough to see a snack? If so, I'm building a bigger coop, dusting off the incubator, and hatching a few dozen more!!! lol.

Yes! Thank God! HATE spiders and we get monsters here in FL. I don't like even seeing little ones, especially in the house, but I don't mind so much seeing them in the coop cuz I know the girls will get 'em in a flash. I've not seen mine turn down ANY creepy crawly and they love to chase moths and dragonflies in the yard..really funny to watch!

Maybe I should enlarge my flock..lol. Really hoping they can do such a thorough job in the yard that they'll help us to not have a problem IN the house
big_smile.png
that would be heavenly. Deliberately putting their coop/enclosure right next to the house for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom