do they get friendly again?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
ok so we held our chicks often and they were so sweet and would jump out of the brooder and perch on us and sit and snuggle with us etc. Then I brought them out to the coop (they are my only chicks so not out with any older chickens) around 6 weeks I think. (just double checked and yes they were 6 weeks) They aren't not friendly but they aren't really friendly now either. They will come up near me, most times to peck at some part of me. hahaaa and rarely they will jump up and sit on my legs if I am sitting in the run with them. Every so often I can pet them but most times they will sqwak and run away now. They are just under 10 weeks old now, so been out in the coop for almost 4 weeks, will be 4 weeks on Thurs. I thought I had read somewhere that a lot of times once they get to laying age they will start to get friendlier again. Is this true?

Last edited:
ok so we held our chicks often and they were so sweet and would jump out of the brooder and perch on us and sit and snuggle with us etc. Then I brought them out to the coop (they are my only chicks so not out with any older chickens) around 6 weeks I think. They aren't not friendly but they aren't really friendly now either. They will come up near me, most times to peck at some part of me. hahaaa and rarely they will jump up and sit on my legs if I am sitting in the run with them. Every so often I can pet them but most times they will squak and run away now. They are just under 10 weeks old now. I thought I had read somewhere that a lot of times once they get to laying age they will start to get friendlier again. Is this true?
They seem not quite as friendly now because they are in a new environment and are unsure if it is safe. Continue to spend time with them in their new home. When they feel safe and secure again, they will resume being their former friendly trusting selves. And yes it is usually true that pullets become more docile after they reach point of lay. But since you had already earned their trust, you likely wont have to wait that long.

They seem not quite as friendly now because they are in a new environment and are unsure if it is safe. Continue to spend time with them in their new home. When they feel safe and secure again, they will resume being their former friendly trusting selves. And yes it is usually true that pullets become more docile after they reach point of lay. But since you had already earned their trust, you likely wont have to wait that long.
Thanks. they have been out in the coop/run for about 4 weeks now. I had to go back and check (sure doesn't seem that long ago that I moved them out there, but will be 4 weeks on Thurs). So they seem pretty comfortable with it now. It seemed when they were less comfortable the would sit on us more especially if we went out about an hour before dusk they would be all over us/me. :) As long as their is hope they will be friendly again. I am happy with how they are now but would be even happier if they still sat on me or let me touch them with out running away screaming. hahaa. Most just tuck and scoot away. I have 1 that screams if we touch her, but then she will come right back.

Oh ok since you said they were 6 weeks old, i assumed you had recently relocated them after they became fully feathered.

With dogs, it has been extensively studied and documented that growing puppies go through distinct age-related behavioral stages as they grow, & one of those stages is the fear stage. I dont know if that issue has been as fully studied in chickens, but is probably also true. The one thing that IS usually obvious is that pullets become calmer as they reach point of lay. I still say keep spending time with them, treat them as you always have, & they will come back around.

Oh ok since you said they were 6 weeks old, i assumed you had recently relocated them after they became fully feathered.

With dogs, it has been extensively studied and documented that growing puppies go through distinct age-related behavioral stages as they grow, & one of those stages is the fear stage. I dont know if that issue has been as fully studied in chickens, but is probably also true. The one thing that IS usually obvious is that pullets become calmer as they reach point of lay. I still say keep spending time with them, treat them as you always have, & they will come back around.
yes they were 6 weeks when they went out to the coop and are just under 10 weeks old now.

I will continue to hang out with them no matter what even if they don't get friendlier as they get to the laying stage. :) They will most times come over to me when I go in the run but then run away if I go to touch them so they aren't bad at all now. I love sitting in their with them and actually have a chair that I put upside down when I am not in there so they can hang on it then I flip it around and sit in there with them. I just let them do what they want and I talk to them and touch them as they walk past me. :)

Chickens do go through several juvenile molts as they grow, not just the "big ones" when they reach 18 months and yearly thereafter. I believe 8-10 weeks is a common juvenile molt stage, so they Could be reacting due to discomfort when being touched. Your mention of one pullet "screaming" when you touched her caused me to consider that possibility. Not that your touching her causes enough pain to elicit a chicken scream, but some chicken girls are definitely drama queens!

Chickens do go through several juvenile molts as they grow, not just the "big ones" when they reach 18 months and yearly thereafter. I believe 8-10 weeks is a common juvenile molt stage, so they Could be reacting due to discomfort when being touched. Your mention of one pullet "screaming" when you touched her caused me to consider that possibility. Not that your touching her causes enough pain to elicit a chicken scream, but some chicken girls are definitely drama queens!
oh she is a drama queen for sure! She is one that has never really been friendly and has always freaked when we touch her. But she will come up to us and sometimes sit on our legs so I just work with her a bit and reach out to touch her and let her yell and run but see that we aren't going to hurt her. She is my daughters Salmon Faverolle (that was partly picked for looks and partly because everything we read said how they are such a friendly breed. ) but friendly or not we still love her. :)

Hum...be happy they were ever that friendly! I've been working with mine since they were few days old and they still scream and don't wanna be touched!
Very frustrating. But I keep on sitting out their with treats they could careless bout ...I have much more success them eating their food outta my hand than anything!
That's the extent of their desire to be with me though lol.

Back
Top Bottom