Do they hold the eggs in?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sesame, May 25, 2010.

1. Sesame

Sesame Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    I like to let my chickens out into the run every day but it is not attached to the coop yet so once they are in, they are in. I can't always wait until they lay their eggs to let them into the run because I have to leave for the day. I noticed that on the days when I put them in the run early, they don't lay. If they are in the coop, they lay almost every day. One in particular just will not lay an egg if she is in the run too early. There is a nest box in the run with a wooden egg in it but they ignore it. So basically I guess, can a hen really just hold it in?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Yep she can .....

3. Sesame

Sesame Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Interesting. Tonight I came home and saw one of the hens making a huge racket pacing in front of the door to the run. I let her out and she ran for the coop and went straight into the egg box. It was 8 at night! I hope they get comfy laying in the run soon because I don't want to keep them in the coop all day!

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    They feel the coop's nest is "safe" for their eggs. Is there a way you can make the nest in the run more like the coop's nest? And put a golf ball in it, so they get the idea someone else is laying there, too.

ETA: I see you have a wood egg in the run nest. Can you put the run's nest at the same "height" as the coop's nest? Try to make it as snug, dark, secure and "safe" as the coop's nest. Otherwise, they may be feeling vulnerable about laying in the run. For a hen, after all, the egg is a potential baby chick.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes, they can. Ours are also very particular about which nest box they use, even though the nest boxes are identical except in location. We've gotten to watch the actual laying of the egg, right as it comes out, several times because of this. Fascinating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by