Do they just get tired and die?

duckinnut

Songster
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
Marshfield, Ma.
I had a BR that was 2 1/2 years old that went from perfectly fine(seemed to be) to dead inside of 3 days. On Thursday she was doing regular chicken things with the rest of the flock and that night went in to shut the coop up after work and all seemed well. Friday morning she wouldn't get down of the roost which was strange for her. I say that because I have a BO and an Austro that think I am their personal elevator. Anyway I went to grab her and she jumped down from the roost but couldn't stand although she did eventually but wouldn't put weight on one of her legs. At first I thought my rooster my have hurt her due to his well less than gentlemanly fashion of engaging the ladies so I isolated her in the shed in a dog box. Saturday she seemed better, eating, drinking and actually put a little weight on the leg. On Sunday she was eating less and let her out for a while to forage for a while, which she did but just wasn't herself. So back in the box she went. So this morning she was dead, just like that. No indication of anything, no runny discharge from nose or eyes, no heavy breathing, no signs of bumble foot on either leg, comb was pink but a little listless. After 2 hard molts and many eggs did her body just quit? Do they die just for no reason?

Last edited:
I had a BR that was 2 1/2 years old that went from perfectly fine(seemed to be) to dead inside of 3 days. On Thursday she was doing regular chicken things with the rest of the flock and that night went in to shut the coop up after work and all seemed well. Friday morning she wouldn't get down of the roost which was strange for her. I say that because I have a BO and an Austro that think I am their personal elevator. Anyway I went to grab her and she jumped down from the roost but couldn't stand although she did eventually but wouldn't put weight on one of her legs. At first I thought my rooster my have hurt her due to his well less than gentlemanly fashion of engaging the ladies so I isolated her in the shed in a dog box. Saturday she seemed better, eating, drinking and actually put a little weight on the leg. On Sunday she was eating less and let her out for a while to forage for a while, which she did but just wasn't herself. So back in the box she went. So this morning she was dead, just like that. No indication of anything, no runny discharge from nose or eyes, no heavy breathing, no signs of bumble foot on either leg, comb was pink but a little listless. After 2 hard molts and many eggs did her body just quit? Do they die just for no reason?
Sorry about the loss of your BR
hugs.gif

Here in CA the State has a free Necropsy service for Small flocks. I had a 10 month old pullet die suddenly and it was from liver rupture.

At 2.5 years old, it could have been from being egg bound to Mareks cancer.

I would check into the Necropsy and watch your others closely!

Sorry about the loss of your BR
hugs.gif

Here in CA the State has a free Necropsy service for Small flocks. I had a 10 month old pullet die suddenly and it was from liver rupture.

At 2.5 years old, it could have been from being egg bound to Mareks cancer.

I would check into the Necropsy and watch your others closely!

Thanks. Don't think she was egg bound considering she hasn't completed her molt totally as well as had a BO die due to egg bind. She just didn't fit the criteria. Last year she went thru a hard molt as well and just didn't know if it takes a toll on their body. May do a necropsy myself tomorrow and take a look inside. Dressed enough game to notice in a fowl if there is something amiss inside. Being from hatchery stock not sure of the longevity of them. Like I said she was fine on Thursday doing chicken things and dead this AM. Will post if anything noteworthy is found for future reference.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom